Cascade Leaf Browning and White

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkbarnes82

Reaction score
What could be the cause of the brown/rust color starting in the leaves? It seems to be only the bottom leaves. Also there's some white stuff which I figured was bird poop at first but now not so sure. It seems to wipe off but continues to show up on all plants. There are a few Japanese beetles hanging around, their poop?

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404313878.602400.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1404313890.037792.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1404313900.355639.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1404313911.466395.jpg

Not sure what's causing that, but might as well check for a likely culprit this time of year: look at the underside of the affected leaves, up near the stem. If you see any very fine webbing you got spider mites...

Cheers!

The white looks like bird poop as it appears to have run down the leaf, the other looks like spider mites, as mentioned, look for fine webbing underneath in the early morning hours

Sent from the Commune

The white looks like bird poop as it appears to have run down the leaf, the other looks like spider mites, as mentioned, look for fine webbing underneath in the early morning hours

Sent from the Commune

I also have Cascade Hop leaves yellowing, dying at the the bottom. No evidence of spider mites. It's hot and humid now in Georgia.
Any other ideas as to what could cause this ?

I also have Cascade Hop leaves yellowing, dying at the the bottom. No evidence of spider mites. It's hot and humid now in Georgia.
Any other ideas as to what could cause this ?

If it is hot and humid, it is likely affecting the plant's ability to uptake nutrients. Unfortunately there's not much you can do by way of that. The plant is closing its stomata (pores) to prevent water loss from occurring at greater rates than if they were open, as well because the plant is reducing the amount of water it is losing, it is also uptaking water at a reduced rate. By adding water, you would only exacerbate the problem.

All you can do is hope the humidity dies down before harvest.

Best of luck!

If it's hot and humid and there is little airflow around the more dense foliage at the very bottom it may be causing the browning of the leaves, I get that in Chicago and as long as the rest of the plant looks fine I don't worry about it:)

Sent from the Commune

Back