cascade, chinook and magnum. what to make next

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smileyak87

Reaction score
So I have made a pale ale and multiple wheat beers but want to try something different.

I have a pound each of cascade, chinook, and magnum so I want to stick to something with those hops and was hoping something along the lnes of an amber or porter style since I haven't made either of those.

My lhbs has grains available for steeping and carries most wyeast liquid yeast styles and has light, pilsen, amber, and dark dme available

Any suggestions?

Try an amber. Get some amber extract, some crystal or CaraAmber malt (even a touch of Carafa special if they have it).

Magnum as bittering hops (10/15g should be enough) and the 2 C hops as the flavour / aroma. Aim for about 35-40 IBU.

How's this look

3lb amber at 60
3lb amber at 15
0.5 oz magnum at 60
0.5 oz chinook at 10
1oz cascade at 5

Steep crystal 40 for 30 minutes

Should I use a special yeast or stick with US-05?

This comes out to 37 ibu accordibg to my brewr android app

I like to use a light DME like Briess Golden Light and then use steeping grains to get the color and flavor I want. Maybe try the light extract instead of amber, then use some C40 & C60 to get the amber color.

Sounds good. He carries briess golden light dme. So should I go 6 pounds of light and steep 1 pound of c40 or c60? Not sure what the difference between the 40 and 60 is

1# would end up pretty sweet. That's about 14% of the grain bill. I'd recommend cutting it in half.l, unless you want something pretty sweet.

C60 will be a bit richer caramel and bit of toffee vs. C40. (and darker, obviously)

You could try an American brown! I like that hop combo in that.
6# plain dme, 1/2# C90, 1/4# pale chocolate.

Latest posts

Back