Cart before the horse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VonRunkel

Reaction score
I brewed my first Lager last night and now I am second guessing my layering capabilities.

I planned on sitting it on my enclosed back porch, which is usually cooler than inside, but warmer than outside. The difference is definitely noticeable, but im not sure what the exact numbers are. I am using WLP 830 and the OG was 1.065.

My question is: will this method work out, or will I kill the poor yeasties? Should I bring it in at night to avoid the deep cooling (definitely sub freezing most nights)?

My other option is to put it into my freezer and bring the temp up more than normal. This will mean I have a lot of veggies to eat in the next few days, but that is a price I am willing to pay.

Thanks for any input.

Im in Ma and my basement stays around 50 this time of year but in the summer i do a swamp cooler with ice added every day! How cold does your porch get??

No clue. I could put it in my unfinished dirt floored basement. I wanted to avoid the dirty aspect, but I think it may be inevitable.

My mud room gets way too cold for my beer unless its for dinking it usually stays around 37ish?My basement is much warmer , you could always do the swamp cooler in a closet. I always interchange frozen water bottles to keep temps dow and covered with a shirt that i wet down whenever i can its a pain in the ass but it works!GOOD LUCK:D

Latest posts

Back