carmelite tripel off flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RigorHillRyan

Reaction score
I brewed the Carmelite pm kit from northern brewer. Fermentation finished well with good attenuation, and the beer tasted AWESOME after about 3 weeks when I checked the fg. Then I went away to a wedding last week, and while I was gone there was a heat wave. No idea what the temps reached, but I tasted the beer today and there are notable off flavors. I am sad, but rebuilding. Should I:
A) rack to secondary for aging. Was planning on 2 months.
B) get the temp back down and keep it on the yeast so it can clean up the nasty almost chemical flavors. Its been in primary for a month now.
Help me. I love triple karmelite and was excited about this.

Most of the esters, phenols, and off flavors are created in the first few days of fermentation. Yes, the yeast will clean up some off flavors, like diacetyl, before going dormant, but the yeast don't clean up everything.

I don't know exactly what you mean by chemical flavors, but high fermentation temps can create hot/fusel alchohol flavors. If there was chlorine in the water, the yeast process the chlorine into chlorophenol which is kind of plastic-like. It could be a bacterial infection that has become more pronounced as the beer ages. Here's a list of off-flavors that may help troubleshoot: http://morebeer.com/public/pdf/off_flavor.pdf.

I'm not sure what you can do at this point. I'd probably either drink the beer quickly, or lager it for a few months as an experiment to see if that helps.

Back