caribou slobber problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bj2387

Reaction score
i think im just not meant to make a good batch of this beer haha. the first time i made it. i entered in the all grain recipe from northern brewer into beer smith. scaled down to a size i can use on my equipment. That one i messed up from bottling with too high of a FG. so my bad

attempted a second batch. its been in the bottle 5 weeks. just tried and has not carbed up very well and tasted watery and flat. i took a sip and dumped right out. to contrast i have a porter/stout i made that at 7.4% has been in the bottle exactly a month today and is coming along nicely. i generally follow the one tablespoon of priming sugar to a gallon method.

not sure if anyone has any input or has had similar issues. i know time heals all with some beers but i just cant seem to win with this one

My second brew was a caribou slobber extract kit from NB... I found it bland and very boring... The keg lasted way too long. I have since moved all grain and have no desire to try to make this beer again. That said folks on the NB reviews all seem to like it (and yes I have heard the stories of how they filter the reviews on their site).

i generally follow the one tablespoon of priming sugar to a gallon method.

This may be your problem. I looked up tablespoon to ounces and it says .5 ounces. I put that in this calculator:http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator

For 1 gallon it recommends .85 ounce of corn sugar.

Get a digital scale and weigh your priming sugar. Weighing is much more accurate than going by volume.

that may be it as well. i saw a post where yooper says thats what she does. meaning 1 tbl spoon to a gallon as a general rule. ive also measured before with a scale but not for this beer specifically. I generally make beers 6-8% ABV so maybe they just take a little more time. but none of my other beers have really had a problem following this method. though i understand it may not fit the style as well

I have used the calculator I linked and weighed out my priming sugar on over 30 batches before getting kegs. One batch of gushers and the rest were perfect. YMMV.

I still recommend weighing over volume.

This may be your problem. I looked up tablespoon to ounces and it says .5 ounces. I put that in this calculator:http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator

For 1 gallon it recommends .85 ounce of corn sugar.

Get a digital scale and weigh your priming sugar. Weighing is much more accurate than going by volume.

+1. I've used NB's priming sugar calculator dozens of times, using a fairly accurate digital kitchen scale, with universally good results.

Back