careless mistakes - swapped yeast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

losingboredom

Reaction score
Hello

So this weekend I am brewing up two batches - an English Mild Ale and a California Common.

I totally wasn't paying attention yesterday and put the CalCom yeast in the Mild and just noticed it today when starting the CalCom. Am I looking at significant disaster or should it be fine?

The yeast intended for the CalCom which went in the English Mild is a white labs california ale yeast - WLP001

and the yeast intended for the mild ale which will go into the CalCom is a Wyeast London Ale 1028

Thanks!

Well, the California yeast will probably ferment your mild a bit dryer than you intended, possibly enhancing hop flavors. The California Common will end up a bit cleaner tasting and with more body.

All in all not the worst swap to make, might be interesting. You might end up with a 2 penny bitter and a Dead Guy clone, who knows?

Hmm thanks for the feedback. That was essentially my best case scenario so I'm glad I didn't ruin it. That's what I get for not brewing for months then dropping my attention to detail.

The only thing I will add is now be careful with your fermentation temps. IMO, you are going to want to ferment the cali yeast colder then you would have with the correct beer or you may get some flavors you didn't want and vice-versa........I like to ferment my Cali Common at 58-60 and my other ales at 64-67

Back