Carboy Cap Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm starting to brew bigger batches and this is my first go at brewing bigger batches. I recently purchased a 5-gallon carboy and realized that it has a twist top. I have also recently purchased a carboy cap as well as an airlock. I have modified the twist top to be able to use the airlock with a grommet. I wanted to know if the carboy cap that I purchased would be compatible with the twist top or should I used the modified cap?

Attached below is the carboy and cap.

IMG_20170615_183435397.jpg

IMG_20170615_183429041.jpg

IMG_20170615_183419295.jpg

Stick an airlock in it, fill it with water, then squeeze the sides of your carboy. If the airlock bubbles, good. If not, bad.

Fruit flies will find their way into your beer if there are gaps.

Not sure where you bought that carboy, but you might consider returning it (or use it for coins) and getting the right thing (Better Bottle, Big Mouth Bubbler, etc).

I would agree with the above comment. That looks like one of those water cooler bottles. While your beer will happily ferment in there, I have heard they are extremely difficult to clean and many people will use them only once. Additionally, the fermenters mentioned about were specifically designed for home brewing and work very well.

It's a lower end carboy that was going to be used temporary until I can get to the local shop to get a better one. It may be used as a secondary racking carboy.

Back