Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushman9995

Reaction score
This is the second time I have attempted to make this honey ale. Once agian it did not carbonate in the bottle. What is some reasons that this can occur? I have some thoughts about the yeast I used and the temperature of my man cave. I used a german yeast from a bavarian wheat kit and added honey. The temperature in my man cave is roughly around 75 degrees. It only bubbled for about a day, but I left it in the bucket for a week and transfered it to the secondary for another week. I left it in the bottles for a month and just tried it no carbonation at all. :mad:

1) What kind of bottles?
2) How much priming sugar and what kind? How did you figure the amount? How are you adding it?
3) What is the ABV of your beer?
4) Did you try adding yeast at bottling (like Danstar CBC-1)

chocotaco said:
1) What kind of bottles?
2) How much priming sugar and what kind? How did you figure the amount? How are you adding it?
3) What is the ABV of your beer?
4) Did you try adding yeast at bottling (like Danstar CBC-1)

I am using glass bottle. 5 oz of corn sugar boiled for 5 minutes and added to 5 gallons of beer. I added it to the bottom of the bucket and siphoned it into the bucket. It has not been an issue with any other beers I have made. The beer is 4% abv. And why would I add yeast at bottling. There was yeast sediment in the bottom of the bottles the yeast I used was danstar Munich. Shoe size is 10 and 1/2 lol.

what was the ferment like? i just bought danstar munic. i hope it doesent act the same. it says to rehydrate, did u?

Weird. If you have live yeast and added the appropriate amount of sugar (all signs seem to point to "yes" here) then you can pretty much rest assured that the yeast will do their job and eat the sugar, farting out the carbonation you are looking for. I would think a month would be enough...

Did the beer under-attenuate? That could indicate something happened prior to bottling that is driving the issue you are having with it now.

Maybe a bad seal on the caps? Your process seems sound and 5 oz is plenty to carb 5 gallons of beer.

bxtzd3 said:
what was the ferment like? i just bought danstar munic. i hope it doesent act the same. it says to rehydrate, did u?

The fermentation was quick I think this may be my problem. I didn't crank down my ac, because I live in Georgia and I would be paying out the butt for electricity. The bottle had a good seal that wasn't the issue. Maybe if I had transferred it within 3 days to the secondary and transferred to bottles a few days later.

To bottle carbonate, you need three things: viable yeast (enough, below their alcohol tolerance, at a reasonable temp, and for a reasonable amount of time), sugar, and a sealed volume to trap the CO2.

I can't imagine not having enough yeast. And a 4%ABV brew shouldn't cause issues with tolerance. Not sure of your temp, but it sounds like it was probably warm enough, especially given that you allowed a month.

Your sugar addition sounds fine. I can't think of any issues there. Did you happen to stir to get better mixing?

How do you know your bottles were sealed well enough?

The only issues I can imagine are poorly mixed sugar and leaks. Is your capper old?

The capper is fairly new and I didn't stir before bottling. I usually just add the sugar to the bottom of the bucket and siphon it in. I have made a good batch in between the two bad batches. So I have only had trouble with the Bavarian wheat with danstar Munich yeast fermenting around 75 degrees. It ferments way to quick it seems.

Latest posts

Back