Carbonation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asylum88

Reaction score
I use the Northern Brewer fizz drops (sugar drops) for carbing my bottles. They have worked ok so far but seem to take a lot longer 4-5 weeks to carb the 12 ounce bottles (6% ABV IPAs). In the instructions, it says to just place 1 drop in each bottle. These don't have to be sanitized first with StarSan? I always wondered that. I haven't had an infected batch after 3 batches so I am guessing its ok? I just don't want any problems in future batches.

Another question. The NB Fizz drops are kind of expensive. I have read that you can just use Domino sugar cubes by putting 1 cube in each bottle. I only brew IPAs and American Amber Ales. Is this true, and is 1 cube enough carbonation per bottle for the beer styles?

Thank you all in advance for your awesome knowledge! :)

I've used the Domino sugar cubes with good results in both of those styles. Yes, 1 per 12oz, 2 per 2woz bottle

The domino Dot™ will yield about 2.4 to 2.5 volumes of CO2 in a 12 ounce bottle.
Domino Dots™
1 pound = 454 grams
198 Dots per pound
2.29 grams per cube
…......
2.3 volumes for 5 gallons at 68°F = 100.32 grams of sucrose
48 bottles from 5 gallons = 2.09 grams of sucrose per bottle
2.4 volumes for 5 gallons at 68°F = 107.23 grams of sucrose
48 bottles from 5 gallons = 2.23 grams of sucrose per bottle
2.5 volumes for 5 gallons at 68°F = 114.15 grams of sucrose
48 bottles from 5 gallons = 2.38 grams of sucrose per bottle

Northern Brewer carbonation calculator

Thank you everyone for your replies!

I think I am going to try the Domino cubes for my next batch. Do the cubes need to be sanitized? If not, why?

I've sprayed them real quick with sanitizer right before I drop them in just to be sure. Not sure if it's needed, but it's what I've done.

I think I am going to try the Domino cubes for my next batch. Do the cubes need to be sanitized? If not, why?

The cubes do not need to be sanitized but your fingers do. Sugar is a natural preservative that the bad stuff can not grow on. Dirty fingers can transfer the bad stuff to the cube as you pick it up to drop into the bottle.

I fill the bottle then add the cube so head space is not increased by the mass of the cube.

No, the cubes do not need to be sanitized. Wash your hands before you add the cubes but be assured that not much can survive in beer because of the alcohol, the acidity, and the fact that it will be covered by carbon dioxide all of which will add together to make a liquid in which no bacteria can reproduce.

Latest posts

Back