Carbonation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LosEsco25

Reaction score
What would one do if the yeast are dead due to the level of alcohol prior to adding corn sugar to prime for bottleing?

One might add more yeast(a strsin that is good for the level of alcohol in thr beer). I have to ask, though - how can you be sure they are dead?

What is the abv of the beer you're trying to carbonate? And what was the original yeast you used?

In short, the usual questions: what was your recipe, what were the fermentation temperatures and how long did it go for and what was your starting and finishing gravity?

emccarthy has a point, your yeast may still be viable.

I would add about two-four grams of champagne yeast with my priming sugar. Hypothetically, of course

I had a big beer fail to carb for me recently, so I asked for advice to prevent it from happening again.

The two pieces I got were 1) Pitch the right amount of yeast, use a pitching calculator and make a starter that has enough yeast for the OG you are working with.

and 2) Pitch either some of the original yeast or a champagne yeast at bottling time.

The thread where I asked this question is here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ahs-gulden-draak-clone-never-carbed-what-went-wrong-314544/

There are probably better ones that can be dug up with some searching.

Latest posts

Back