Carbonation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msh227

Reaction score
I have read a few threads on here dealing with beer line length and how to properly carbonate. I'm curious for some feedback on the method I'm using.

When I keg I set my pressure to the proper psi for the type of beer I have. Once it has reached proper carbonation I back off the pressure to around 5-7 psi for a proper pour. My beer line is only about 3 feet long and I don't have any issues with foaming. Does my method seem sound or am I not doing it properly? By reducing the pressure will I run into carbonation issues?

If you leave it at 5-7psi, then yes, you'll have issues. With every pour, you're starting to lower the carbonation in the keg. Eventually, the keg will balance out at 5-7psi and your beer will be undercarbonated. If you're drinking the whole thing in one night, it's not a big deal.

If you're just lowering it when you pull a beer, then you won't have issues. BUT...I would adjust your line length so your system is balanced and you never have to adjust.

I can pour a perfect pint off my kegerators, but most other people can't. So, I still turn mine down to around 5psi when I know I'm having people over and we'll be drinking a lot of beer.

Ok so it sounds like I need to let my keg at carbonation pressure and if I'm getting nothing but foam when I pour I'll need to adjust my beer line.

Thanks for the info!

There's kind of a zen feeling that will occur when it's balanced.

You know the Yin and Yang of carb pressure and beer line length.

Back