carbonation help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugs13

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am running a 3bbl system and we are getting to the kegging part. Obviously I have done numerous kegging at home with 5 gallon batches but never on on a commercial scale. The system we have going is real basic, once beer is cooled in fermenters and racked into kegs we will hook 6 - 50L kegs up to a manifold system with keg couplers for carbonation, we do not have a Brite tank as of yet so this will have to get us by for now. My question is at 25-30psi how long do you think it will take to carbonate an American pale ale? Thanks guys. Any help, ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

not sure if this will help you but here is a chart

all the best

S_M

Carbonatin-Chart.jpg

not sure if this will help you but here is a chart

all the best

S_M

I appreciate the help but we are not slow carbing, wanting to do 25-30psi and check daily...just curious to know how long it would take. Thanks

I do my five gallon kegs at about 34 degrees @ 20 psi for two days then purge and put it at 7-10 psi for a day then serve

after a couples day it is all good

not sure if that is any help but that is what I do and it works for my APA/IPAs and what have you

all the best

S_M

It's really hard to guess, since there are so many variables that contribute (ABV, SG, temperature, desired carb level, etc.). You certainly don't want to overcarb, since it's way easier to let the come up to proper carb level than it is to degas overcarbed beer. At 38° and 30 psi, 40 hrs usually falls a little shy of 2.5 vol IME.

FWIW I don't think I'd carb on a commercial scale (even if it is nano) without a carbing stone. It's easy with corny kegs or brite tanks, but a little trickier with sankey kegs. You'd need a 2" triclover fitting, a small carb stone, and some misc plumbing parts for each keg. Using a carb stone you can carb to the exact desired volume in under 24 hrs by starting at a very low pressure and increasing a little at a time every hour or two until you hit serving pressure.

Back