Carbonation difference Dryhopped vs. Non

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowtones84

Reaction score
Hey all,

We have a batch of an English bitter that we split into two carboys, identical volume as we could possibly get. We dryhopped one 5 gallon carboy with 2 oz. of EKG and did not dry hop the other. Bottled same day, same bottles, same equipment, exact same amount of priming sugar.

The non dry-hopped version has the desired about 1.5 volumes, low carb that you almost have to swirl the glass a bit as you go through it. The dry-hopped version gushes out of the bottle unless refrigerated for 2+ days, and then the carbonation is still vigorous.

Does the hop matter absorb enough volume to make a difference? Hop oils and residue providing "nucleation points" when not filtered out? Anyone know for sure or at least have a good theory?

Thanks guys! :cheers:

Weird. I can think of a few possible causes.

Maybe the dry-hopped batch got a diastaticus yeast contamination, possibly from the hops themselves or possibly just randomly at another point in the process.

I don't think nucleation from hop particles would cause gushing like that, but I'm not sure. Leave bottles in the fridge for a week or two and see if it still happens.

Hops have enzymes which can increase attenuation by breaking down sugar, but I don't think it's enough to cause such overcarbonation.

You could degas a sample from a bottle from each batch and then measure SG to see if there's a difference now.

Hop creep can in some cases produce a full plato drop, or more. That's enough to produce some severe overcarb.

Is that dedinitively the case? No. Is it possible? Absolutely. Are other explanations (var diastaticus) equally plausible? Yep.

I could potentially see diastaticus, but we bottled both batches right after each other and none of the non-dry hopped bottles have been overcarbed. I suppose it's still possible. We bottled the dry hopped version first, cleaned and sanitized all equipment again, then the non dry hopped version.

Back