Carbonation Conundrum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aweaselkid

Reaction score
What's up y'all.. Have a problem, and debating a few options here...

So I brewed this recipe 11 months ago. This stuff is great, 9-10%, roasty, sweet, malty, pure moose drool (in a good way). Its excellent.

Anyways, I bottled it in Feb (~7 months ago!), and am at a crossroads here. As time has gone on, I am beginning to "remember" the critical bottling mistake I made on bottling night. I've bottled with success dozens of times in the past (have since moved to kegging), but for whatever reason, on this night, totally dunced up: I don't believe I boiled my priming sugar, and manually added (an unmeasured amount) of dry sugar to each bottle.

I think what happened, (this is just a total dufus move), out of habit, didn't prep any priming sugar (as I usually keg), and half way through bottling (before capping), had that "aww !@#$" moment, realizing that I didn't add sugar. I debated what to do, and decided I didn't want to dump the bottles that were filled back in the bucket, prime a sugar solution, and refill, to avoid oxidizing. In hindsight, I totally should have. In a panicked state, just figured the best thing to do was try to eyeball a Tablespoon or so (don't quote me, not sure exactly how much I tried) of priming sugar, dry, right into each bottle (some already full, others empty and about to be filled). Filled all bottles, capped, and shook each pretty good.

I only remember all of this now, as its been 7 months, and only 1 or 2 bottles that I've opened could barely qualify as being appropriately carbonated. (I have been sampling two six-packs worth of 12oz bottles, and have a case of bombers that I haven't opened; not sure if I'll find more carbonation in these)...

So, what to do, what to do... I've read all the carb threads here. Yes, I've sat and waited, (and while waiting, have remembered my terrible bottling-day decisions). I understand this is annoying kind of post, because a lack of carb is usually the result of a lack of patience. The beer is amazing, (and was expensive), but just flat. If I want to save it, I figure I have three options:

1. Drink it flat and call it some kind of cask-experiment
2. Open the remaining bottles, CAREFULLY pour them into bottling bucket with a re-calcuated priming sugar mixture, and rebottle.
3. Open the remaining bottles, and inject a SMALL amount of a priming sugar mixture directly into each, then recap.

2 and 3 are dangerous. I realize the potential for disaster, exploding bottles, oxidation, contamination, etc. One thing I don't know, if I were to introduce more sugar, in any form, is there even enough yeast left to recarboniate? Should I make a sugar and SMALL amount of yeast slurry and reinject using one of the two methods? Empty the bottles into a secondary and see if it can condition again if I introduce a touch more yeast, and sugar when re-bottling?

Ugh. So frustrating. What would you do?

Personally I'd go with option 1 and just chalk it up as a mistake. It happens. I understand wanting to salvage it though, so if you go with either of the others, best of luck!

Buy or make a carbonator cap. When you want to drink one of your beers, pour it into a PET bottle, squeeze out the air, pressurize, shake, repeat. Then refrigerate for an hour or more before drinking.

@Einherjar: Yea, I hear you. It sucks making mistakes... Especially $80-$100 ones..

@AnOldUR: Good idea, I've never seen this done before. Is there a link floating around with more info? Or pics?

... That got me thinking. If I could get CO2 from my tank into a sanitized growler, fill with brew, pushing O2 out, topping off with CO2, screw on cap and shake like hell, would the same thing work?

I'd go with #1. Cut bait and chalk it up to experience.

There are options. You *could* reasonably open each bottle, add a bit of sugar, and recap, but it's been a while and if the yeast are still active, they may take a while.

Pouring them into other containers sounds like a bad idea to me. I think the risk of oxidation goes WAY up, even if you purge and are careful. Not worth the effort for the prospective results.

Personally, I'd brew up another batch, and drink this one while it's fermenting.

Or you could use it in cooking, if it's not TOO hoppy.

Or give to hobos. From what I've read Hobos really like free booze.

Well, this is some excellent moose drool, so it won't be given away.

I should just suck it up and drink it, I know... May be for future reference, I'll save the last bottle or two, and try to inject just the smallest amount of liquid sugar solution, and see what happens... I do agree with the yeast issue tho, they've been in there for quite sometime, and not sure how quickly, or vigorously, they will wake up.

@AnOldUR: Good idea, I've never seen this done before. Is there a link floating around with more info? Or pics?

... That got me thinking. If I could get CO2 from my tank into a sanitized growler, fill with brew, pushing O2 out, topping off with CO2, screw on cap and shake like hell, would the same thing work?
Although there are systems out there for charging glass carboys with CO2, in my opinion, you have to be nuts. Not worth the consequences if something goes wrong. On the other hand, carbing in PET bottles works great. This is what I do with any beer that won't fit into a keg. With a 2 liter PET soda bottle, you could do 4 or 5 of your bottles and keep it charged for a while. Just drink it before it has a chance to show signs of oxidation. But really, any size soda bottle will work.

Female / Male

Cool, thanks for the link, I'll check it out..

Also, I wasn't really suggesting "charging" a glass carboy like how you were suggesting doing it with a plastic bottle, I was just thinking, why not fill (or purge, actually) the carboy with a little CO2, then fill the carboy with beer from the bottles (which as they fill, will push O2 out, leaving CO2 in headspace, but not enough to pressurize the glass), cap, and shake? Kinda clugy, would prob have to repeat the shaking a bunch, but it might carb, slightly, right?

W/e, even as typing that, I realize how much more work that is compared to your suggestion. I'll take a look at it.

Thanks.

Back