Carbonation after 5 weeks !?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mesita82

Reaction score
I just wanted to post this for those who are thinking about dumping your beer from lack of carbonation.
I made a Brewer's Best English brown ale and I thought to myself... this should take a good 10 to 14 days to carbonate.. Well, it took 5 WEEKS!. :mad:
I know this sucks but this has never happened before. I'm a beginner and I've made a few brews and never encountered this problem. I was thinking of dumping it after a three weeks but after reading some of Revvy's posts, and watching this youbtube video, ( [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM-shhF9LjQ[/ame] ). I decided to wait.
I'm guessing it's just this recipe?

Well.. it's been 5 weeks and AT LAST my beer is carbonated. :ban: and taste great! Time to drink up!

Moral of the story? Don't dump it. Patience... patience.

Carbonated or matured? Most of my beers will have carbonation within a couple days but they won't hold a head at all then. By 3 weeks the lighter color beers will be pretty well matured and hold a head quite well but the darker ales need more time. I'd suspect that your brown ale will not be at its peak even yet. Just think, your beer that is so good now is likely to get even better!:ban:

I'm wondering what the ambient temp was in the room they sat in during the carbing/conditioning phase? Cooler temps can take longer, besides some beers taking longer than others to do so fully.

I had the beer at a constant 65 degrees in the carboy 3 weeks. Bottled it and kept it at 65 the first week. Moved it to about 68 to 70 after.

The 68-70 range is better to get carbonation & conditioning of average gravity ales ready in the normal time frame. But darker beers can take more time, as you've seen. I'm thinking it has something to do with the darker malts, besides alcohol content.

Back