CaraRye question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppyhoppyhippo

Reaction score
Good evening all. I am building a recipe and want use Cararye instead of Caramel 60 to get some of the rye flavor. I know that for wheat, oat, ryes you're supposed to add hulls for sparging.

My question is 2 fold. First quantity. My overall grain bill is 7 pounds DME, 4 pounds Maris Otter then I was debating between half pound or full pound of CaraRye, any input on that? Second question is do I need the hulls if I'm doing BIAB?

CaraRye is not a good substitute for crystal 60 or in my mind to get a rye flavor. It has a very distinct flavor which I think is anise/licorice like. A half pound will be sufficient to be noticeable.

For BIAB you could be 100% rye and not require rice hulls.

Thanks for the help. I have enjoyed beers with CaraRye before ad wasn't sure about quantities. I'm gonna make a last minute decision on my next brew.

Great idea! I went with caramel 60 instead for now, but I will do that for my next IPA. When I have some more time I want to make many teas so I can taste various grains for future brews.

Back