Carapils question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobberdc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have used carapils sporadically in my recipes to provide additional body. I have read conflicting evidence that it also adds sweetness (and other places that don't mention sweetness at all).

Anybody have any specifics on this one way or the other? I am trying to dial in a few recipes, and inappropriate sweetness is one of my pet peeves.

Thanks,

I find that it does contribute sweetness to a recipe. I would compare it with a level like crystal 60 or 80. However, it has a different sweetness to it as it doesn't have a caramel flavor. I would go to the store and taste some.

Conversely, I find no actual contribution of sweetness from the carapils itself, but it's body-enhancing characteristics do seem to increase the perceived sweetness that might already be present in the beer, IMO. Also, make sure you've got a good pair of choppers on you if you decide to chew on carapils. It's like chewing pebbles. :D (no flavor, no sweet)

St Pug, that is a good point in the body-enhancing characteristics it's possible that I am getting those confused. I find that it does contribute a certain flavor in the beer but it's possible that is from it enhancing other aspects.

I think it's also called dextrin malt (Cara Pils is the trademarked name, dextrin the generic one), and if you taste some maltodextrin you can get an idea about how sweet you think it is. I don't get much sweetness from Cara Pils, personally. Just body.

I think the perceived sweetness from CaraPils is it's unfermentability. What ever gravity points you add to the OG, you are also adding to the FG.

I don't use it too often anymore, only when making low ABV beers so they don't come out watery. When I use it, I lower my mash temp a couple degrees to offset the increase in FG I will get from using it.

Bobber, if you are talking about real, sugary sweetness, suspect the crystal malts first. I find higher mash contributes some to sweetness, but more to body. I have started using less and less crystal the more I brew, and mashing higher instead, and I find my beers are less cloying for it. It's a trait I've started to dislike in commercial beers, too--so much crystal. A little special B or something obviously has its place, but I don't put 2# of Crystal 20 in a 5 gal APA the way some recipes suggest.

I deleted my post because I am tired of such nit picky BS. OK so I meant specialty grains and typed Adjunct. Sue me I was typing while tired. Also most specialty grains were designed to replace a process that was time consuming. That is all I was trying to say and it is the truth.

I think many brewers amateur and professional have come to rely on specialty grains too heavily. You can get a most of the same flavors out of your base grain by manipulating the mash and boil. For example when I do a Scottish ale I just use Golden Promise and some roasted barley but I boil the wort for 2 or 3 hours to get the character that I am looking for. I think that it is a much more layered and complex product then you would get by just using specialty grains.

Adjuncts grains and specialty/character malts are different, but I know what you're saying.

I think many brewers amateur and professional have come to rely on adjunct grains too heavily. You can get a most of the same flavors out of your base grain by manipulating the mash and boil. For example when I do a Scottish ale I just use Golden Promise and some roasted barley but I boil the wort for 2 or 3 hours to get the character that I am looking for. I think that it is a much more layered and complex product then you would get by just using adjuncts.

Yes you can get a lot of flavors from different base malts, but they're not replacements for all the qualities you can get from adjuncts & specialty malts. It is significantly cheaper to use specialty grain than boil for additional hours, especially on a professional brewing level.

Most breweries have a 'house yeast strain' that they prefer to use across most of the brews. If this yeast is highly attenuating, but they want the finished product to still have mouthfeel, they often will use wheat, flaked barley, or carapils. For a nice dry blonde, APA or IPA you either need to carbonate highly or use adjuncts as they are different than just a higher finishing gravity.

Latest posts

Back