Carapills ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fvirzi

Reaction score
I am brewing a batch that call for 8 lbs of 2row. I accidentally bought 8 lbs of 2 row carapills???? I there a big difference

Yes. Carapils is for head & body,& is a specialty grain. I use a 1/2lb in most recipes. I do partial mash,however.

There is a huge difference. Carapils is a pale crystal malt, in that it contains mostly dextrins, or unfermentable sugars. Carapils is used to add body and head retention to beer in small amounts. You will still need your 8lbs of base malt for your beer, but you can hang on to the extra carapils for use in other styles.

I had it all milled together at the store. Should I go get some liquid extract??? I just started my boil. Is it ruined????

Ahhhhh what should I do!!!! Thanks for quick reply. I don't want to put more money into a wasted batch.

Ahhhhh what should I do!!!! Thanks for quick reply. I don't want to put more money into a wasted batch.

Your homebrew store worker should be shot for milling 8 pounds of carapils in one grainbill. Even someone with a tiny bit of brewing experience would know better and double check with you.

Not much you can do now, except to throw it out and go buy all new. It's not any good if it's mixed up with other grains, and already crushed that way.

Putting it another way, pretend you are baking a cake and your recipe called for 8 cups of flour. Instead, you accidentally put in 8 cups of salt and no flour. That's sort of what happened here.

You may be able to save some of the grain to use, if you know the exact amounts of each grain and use a tiny bit of it in a batch but there is no way to use 8 pounds of carapils! I use about 2 pounds of carapils a year, but in 2-4 different batches, so it's not something you use in quantity.

Agree with Yooper. Batch is ruined and you should go complain to your LHBS. My guy always double checks my recipes to make sure they fall in line.

Thanks guys that's what I thought. Got excited when a store opened up right around the corner but going there on the first day they opened and I kinda felt the owner had no clue when he said he never did a full grain batch in his 25 years of experience

Sorry about the lost batch.:(. You really had no choice...

Did you accidently order the 8 lbs. of Carapils? I totally agree with what others have said, that the lhbs should have said something when they saw 8 llbs of Carapils in one grain bill. Did you accidently order 8 lbs of carapils instead of 8 ounces?

I'm not naming names but a "friend of mine" did that once:eek:

I'd pitch yeast and ferment it...I think its a 50/50 shot they milled the wrong grain or billed you for the wrong grain.

At my LHBS we weigh and grind our own grain. My guy has no idea what I put in the bag other than it's either $1.70 for 2 row and $2.50 for everything else. He trusts us to label the bags correctly.

Latest posts

Back