Caramel Salted Nut Brown Ale - Advise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorado68

Reaction score
Have a nice 5g ag Nut Brown base that I'd like to change up and try for some caramel, salt and maybe pretzel notes.
What do you guys advise on bringing these flavors out?
At what step would one add salt and how much?

You havent brewed it yet?

I'd add some salt maybe at flameout but go easy on it, you can always add more later to taste in the fermentor

Pretzels I would add into the primary. If they are salted pretzels you may not need too much more salt. For sanitation I would just use a sealed bag of a major brand name since I would think they would be better at cleanliness (note that I have NO reason to believe this, its just what I do for coffee beans). Put them in a muslin bag like a dry hop cause theyll get all gunky when absorbing the wort

Caramel is harder. The fat content would mess with fermentation and head retention. I would try getting a flavor extract and adding it maybe when you take your first gravity reading. I like Lorann Oils and I know they have several caramel flavored extracts

You havent brewed it yet?

I'd add some salt maybe at flameout but go easy on it, you can always add more later to taste in the fermentor

Pretzels I would add into the primary. If they are salted pretzels you may not need too much more salt. For sanitation I would just use a sealed bag of a major brand name since I would think they would be better at cleanliness (note that I have NO reason to believe this, its just what I do for coffee beans). Put them in a muslin bag like a dry hop cause theyll get all gunky when absorbing the wort

Caramel is harder. The fat content would mess with fermentation and head retention. I would try getting a flavor extract and adding it maybe when you take your first gravity reading. I like Lorann Oils and I know they have several caramel flavored extracts

I haven't brewed this it yet, but have brewed the base nut brown several times.
I like your idea of pretzels in the primary and extract!
Hopefully I can get a few more ideas to consider here.
Plan on brewing something up this weekend and be ready for Halloween.
Whatever I brew I'll post the recipe and results.
Thanks for the ideas

Back