Caramel Malt in Cider Side-by-Side Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivovar_Koucky

Reaction score
So cider season is almost upon us again. I know people have posted about using caramel/crystal malts to try to sweeten the cider, but I have never tried it before. I was at the farmers market yesterday and picked up two gallons of cider. One of them is going to be a cyser, but for the other gallon I have devised an experiment.

So I've had some dark crystal (120 L, I think) sitting in my freezer for like 9 months now and I never use it because it doesn't have the Lovibond on the bag that it's in (I wrote it on the bag, but it came off at some point). So I figure, let's take a shot at making a caramel malt sweetened cider.

I steeped the crushed crystal malt (it was 9 oz., including a sandwich bag, so a little more than a half pound) in a quart of 170 deg. water for a half-hour. Then I removed the grains and reduced the "wort" 2:1 by boiling. Then I poured the "wort" into a half-gallon glass jug and topped with cider. The rest of the cider was poured into another half-gallon glass jug. Yeast was Lalvin EC-1118 champagne yeast. I may try an ale yeast some time, but that's what I had around.

Gravity: Pure cider - 1.050
Caramel cider - 1.055

Will report back with pictures later and results in a week or two.

This is looking like something I'm probably going to try here shortly. What do you think about steeping the grains in some of the cider versus water?

I wouldn't heat the cider too much unless you want the pectins to set in, making it cloudy!

What would happen if you were to use pectic enzyme to clear the cider and then use that to steep the grains?

I would think that you would be fine steeping in the cider, again you probably will end up setting the pectins though. Not a big deal unless you really want a clear cider. I bet that using pectase on it would probably be fine. If I was you I would probably use the pectase after steeping the grains though. Maybe it would be fine either way though.

So I figure, let's take a shot at making a caramel malt sweetened cider.

I steeped the crushed crystal malt (it was 9 oz., including a sandwich bag, so a little more than a half pound) in a quart of 170 deg. water for a half-hour. Then I removed the grains and reduced the "wort" 2:1 by boiling. Then I poured the "wort" into a half-gallon glass jug and topped with cider. The rest of the cider was poured into another half-gallon glass jug. Yeast was Lalvin EC-1118 champagne yeast. I may try an ale yeast some time, but that's what I had around.

Gravity: Pure cider - 1.050
Caramel cider - 1.055

Will report back with pictures later and results in a week or two.

How did the cider turn out?:mug:

As I remember I couldn't really tell the difference between the two other than by color, which is why I never updated with results (also I got busy with grad school). I might consider trying this again this fall to see if my ever so much more refined palate can tell anything.

If you want a sweeter cider I have had good results adding a can of apple juice concentrate to apple juice and using a lower attenuating yeast (S-04 works pretty well).

Huh, I recently did something very similar.

4 gallons Tree Top 3 Apple Blend
S04
1/4 lb Honey Malt
1/4 lb Crystal 60

Used about 3-4 cups of water, steeped crushed grain at 160 for 1/2 hour. Removed grains, added 3 cups sugar and boiled. Added to apple juice, pitched yeast and fermented for 2 weeks. Bottle carbonated for 4 weeks. The taste is unmistakable from straight cider. The tasting has been mixed but a majority (3/5) prefer this to straight cider. The other 2 didn't think it was bad but "interesting".

I recently brewed a similar batch but with 1/2 lb Crystal 60 only.

Frank

Back