Can you taste Candi Syrups in the final product

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixhotdogneck

Reaction score
Are the various levels of candi syrups able to be tasted in the final product?

The lighter ones like D-45, D-90 not so sure, perhaps the darker ones?

Yes, they are used for flavor as well as fermentables. It's debatable how much flavor you'd get out of a blonde syrup compared to dextrose or the like, though. Generally, the darker syrups will be stronger in flavor, but they all have unique flavor contributions.

Absolutely, as I surmise in my post, but what flavors have *you* gotten?

I've submitted this to Brulosophy as an exbeeriment.

I've only used D-180. I think it contributed characteristic dark fruit and some chocolate flavor to the Dubbel I used it in. I would be very surprised though if D-45 and D-90 would be undetectable compared to dextrose, though. More likely if it were D-45.

I've used D90, it definitely adds flavor. I would have to drink it again for a detailed description. I would accept the manufacturer's flavor profile.

The syrups, yes, without question, and basically the whole range (with lighter ones being far more nuanced). Same for anything but #1 invert (UK version of the stuff).

The rock candi sugar is a different story completely. That's a bland waste of money.

Back