Can you primary too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HH60gunner

Reaction score
I know the more time on the yeast the better, but is there a point where it might be too long? The reason I'm asking is because I'm coming home from vacation from afghanistan next month, but only get to stay two weeks. During that time I want to brew a big beer (9-10%ish) and was planning on just throwing it in the primary, putting it in a temp controlled fridge and just leaving it until I got back in June of 2012. so it would be in there for 6-7 months. My wife will be home to top up the airlock as needed and can rack to a secondary if I absolutely have to which I think I don't. What do you guys think though? I've never really thought about this since my beers typically only stay in the primary for 4 weeks.

Folks have left it up to a year. I've done 5.5 and 6 months in primary and the beers were fine. Most of us leave our beers in primary for a month....

If she can rak to secondary though I would have her do it when she can.

You would be worried about your yeast autolyzing. Although others have done it, I would say 6-7 months is far too long in primary. I would primary for 4 weeks, then rack to 5 gal secondary carboy (filled to the neck to limit oxidation). It could then easily sit there for 6-7 months with air lock top offs.

After a long stay in secondary, you would want to pitch fresh yeast at bottling.

I think after a couple of months if the SWMBO can turn the temp down to a "lagering" temp that might help prevent autolysis (if any) and could maybe mellow the beer a bit too!

Just a thought

You would be worried about your yeast autolyzing. Although others have done it, I would say 6-7 months is far too long in primary. I would primary for 4 weeks, then rack to 5 gal secondary carboy (filled to the neck to limit oxidation). It could then easily sit there for 6-7 months with air lock top offs.

After a long stay in secondary, you would want to pitch fresh yeast at bottling.

I'll be kegging so I'll skip pitching new yeast. :)

I never leave the beer in primary more than about three weeks, and I'd be much more inclined to primary for 10 days, then rack the beer to the keg before you go. If you pitch enough yeast, ferment at the proper temperature, and then rack on day 10, I think that would make the best product.

If you really dont want to make her rack to secondary
I think turning down the temp after about a month would increase the chance of sucsess

I never leave the beer in primary more than about three weeks, and I'd be much more inclined to primary for 10 days, then rack the beer to the keg before you go. If you pitch enough yeast, ferment at the proper temperature, and then rack on day 10, I think that would make the best product.

Hmmm.. I only get to spend 2 weeks with the fam, so I don't want to waste 2 days of it on the beer process. So I think I'm going to go with leaving it in the primary for 3-4 weeks, and just having the wife rack it to the keg while I'm gone. Now here's the next question, if I have her rack it to the keg, should I have her put it on c02 as well, or just leave it in the keg as is until I get back?

If you really dont want to make her rack to secondary
I think turning down the temp after about a month would increase the chance of sucsess

I've got no problem letting her finish it up for me. She's seen me do the complete process many times, so I'm sure she can handle it.

I'd rack it. If you have to have the wife do it, then so be it. (It's not that hard. Many ladies have managed to rack wine successfully, so why can't they rack a beer?)

I'd let it sit for maybe up to a month or two at most, then rack and place in a cool area until you return.

I'd probably want it to sit for at least 2-3 weeks though.

If she racks to keg, make sure she purges out any oxygen and then pressure up the keg to prevent any air from getting in. Then you should be good. I have kegged and let it sit for a few months a couple of times with good results.

B

Hmmm.. I only get to spend 2 weeks with the fam, so I don't want to waste 2 days of it on the beer process. So I think I'm going to go with leaving it in the primary for 3-4 weeks, and just having the wife rack it to the keg while I'm gone. Now here's the next question, if I have her rack it to the keg, should I have her put it on c02 as well, or just leave it in the keg as is until I get back?

I understand, but keep in mind it takes like 10 minutes to rack to a keg. Certainly not a day! If the keg is cleaned in advance (and of course it always should be cleaned once it's emptied), a quick sanitizing, racking, and sticking it in the kegerator and purging with co2 would be less than 30 minutes total.

If you're going to have your wife rack it, that's fine if she's comfortable with lifting up the fermenter, sanitizing the keg and parts as well as the racking cane, racking without any splashing, purging the co2, etc.

I am of the opinion that a woman is perfectly capable of doing that, so I don't mean any disrespect! It's just that there is a technique involved, and in a beer that will age a long time, oxidation would be a real issue.

I think the hardest part will be hooking up the gas and purging and then pressurizing.

Seriously, anyone can do that. A quick run though to alleviate her concern and it should be no problem.

If she gets stuck, she can sign on here and ask questions. She might even want to brew a batch while you are gone.

I understand, but keep in mind it takes like 10 minutes to rack to a keg. Certainly not a day! If the keg is cleaned in advance (and of course it always should be cleaned once it's emptied), a quick sanitizing, racking, and sticking it in the kegerator and purging with co2 would be less than 30 minutes total.
+1. Prep the keg when you're brewing initially then another 30-40 minutes before you leave will yield the best results IMO.

<snip>
I am of the opinion that a woman is perfectly capable of doing that, so I don't mean any disrespect! <snip>
:D

Back