Can you paint a mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amfukuda

Reaction score
This may be a stupid question but. I found a cooler in my barn that I want I use as a mash tun it's kinda beat up so I was goin to paint it to fancy it up a bit. Do you guys think this would be ok as long as the insides are left alone or am I over looking something

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I don't see why not--but if you do it, you'll want a paint designed for plastics. Lots of paint will react chemically to plastic & change its physical properties (heat resistance, flexibility, etc.).

Maybe you could convince your friends that painting the cooler would be fun and have them do it, just like Tom Sawyer. Or maybe the krylon fusion paint is a better idea! You NEED to use the right paint or it might not stick at all and literally fall off!

FWIW I have scrubbed some old nasty coolers with ajax or comet cleaner, and they came back to life and looked pretty darn good! might be easier than paint considering you should clean it well prior to painting anyway...

It's plastic, that stuff lasts for a hundred years...you might be surprised if you cleaned it aggressively!

Shoot, I say use it ugly. Lol... But paint away if that's what you want to do, all good.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back