Can you help me calculate OG of my simple cider? It's SO BOOZY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BantamBrewing

Reaction score
I used 256 oz of apple juice, a 12 oz container of frozen apple juice concentrate (which is 4x concentrate of juice), and 6 oz of brown sugar. I think I created liquor, haha, it's SO boozy. I've let it sit nearly six months and it's just moonshine right now.

What would the OG be on this? It's around 2.1 gallons and using an online calculator I'm getting 1.178 OG and could be 18-20% abv! Yikes. It's nearly undrinkable. I really screwed this one up.

Is that number right?

Can you tell us how you got that number. Although you can hit numbers like that pre-fermentation, not from 2 gallons of apple juice, concentrate and 6oz of brown sugar - I don't think. You say that after 6 month your getting this number? If so, that would be your FG, but that number doesn't make sense. Unless the universe has shifted, your FG will always be lower than your OG if any fermentation at all has taken place. My guess is your OG was around 1.050 or lower and if in either primary or secondary this whole time, the yeast has likley consumed every bit of available sugar and probably have a low FG around 1.00X. Really cant see your cider being above 7%. What yeast did you use?

Your probably more around 14-15% ABV%, getting much higher then that is unlikely without nutrients and a high tolerant yeast, and even that its a stretch from what you used. You could back blend with lots of apple juice until you get down to an acceptable amount. This will of course oxygenate your cider but it could possibly make it drinkable.

I used 256 oz of apple juice, a 12 oz container of frozen apple juice concentrate (which is 4x concentrate of juice), and 6 oz of brown sugar. I think I created liquor, haha, it's SO boozy. I've let it sit nearly six months and it's just moonshine right now.

What would the OG be on this? It's around 2.1 gallons and using an online calculator I'm getting 1.178 OG and could be 18-20% abv! Yikes. It's nearly undrinkable. I really screwed this one up.

Is that number right?

Are you Bantam Cider in Somerville?

How are you calculating that OG? IME store bought juice has an OG around 1.052. The 6 oz sugar would add about 17 gravity pts total. If the concentrate is 4 x regular juice seems like that would be about 208 gravity pts in a gallon, meaning 12 oz would have about 20 gravity pts.

If you take 104 pts from the juice, 17 from sugar, 20 from concentrate, in about 2.09 gal liquid I think that would be 1.067 or so. I might be simplifying things here but seems like that should be the ballpark. So fermented out around 9% ABV or a little less?

what yeast & @ what temperature was this fermented? maybe tasting some fusel alcohol.
I agree with chickypad about your ABV. it's likely even less, I think the concentrate I use only has about 156 grams of sugar...
treetop

Back