Can someone explain to me please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamiltonkiler

Reaction score
If I open a bottle of wine homemade or store bought. High end or low end wine it goes bad or has bad flavor after a few days or 5. Why doesn’t wine aging in a barrel with a wooden stopper. Especially opening it month after month to test the flavor. Not that I have any experience, just reading.

Do you age in the barrel after fermentation is done? Or as it is fermenting to push air out?

Thanks.

Wine will oxidize in a barrel if it’s in there a long time. The wine is moved there before it’s completely finished, to help protect the wine from oxidizing too much. It is also topped up as it is needed.

I don’t know of anyone who opens it to test it “month after month” as it would be rare to age it in a barrel very long without topping up.

Most wineries age their wine in stainless tanks.

If I open a bottle of wine homemade or store bought. High end or low end wine it goes bad or has bad flavor after a few days or 5. Why doesn’t wine aging in a barrel with a wooden stopper. Especially opening it month after month to test the flavor. Not that I have any experience, just reading.

Do you age in the barrel after fermentation is done? Or as it is fermenting to push air out?

Thanks.
Surface area exposure to oxygen. The larger the vessel, the slower the aging. Assuming vessels are filled to minimize head space.

Latest posts

Back