Can someone explain "efficiency"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fu_gazi

Reaction score
I am preparing to join the all grain fold, and have not found a succinct explanation of efficiency.

I'd appreciate the help! Thanks!

fu_gazi said:
I am preparing to join the all grain fold, and have not found a succinct explanation of efficiency.

I'd appreciate the help! Thanks!

There are two efficiencies that one deals with in AG.

The first is the mash/lauter and that is how well you convert and extract the sugars from the mash for your wort

The second is total brew house and that includes all gravity and volume measurements into the fermenter.

I highly recommend you get Palmer's How To Brew and read it as you will reference it frequently.

There are really a lot of variables involved with calculating and achieving efficiency so succinct is not really possible without a very long dissertation:)

For example, you can have a good mash efficiency and still get a crappy brew house if you don't get your desired OG and vice versa but there are many variables involved as to why this is possible

lem14 said:
I am glad that you supported John, however you could have googled "How To Brew." I do not own the actual book to tell if there is any differences, but the website has lots of great info.

http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

While there is a free version on line the book is much more updated and really a great reference to go to as many processes and old info has been removed or updated considerably:)

I am glad that you supported John, however you could have googled "How To Brew." I do not own the actual book to tell if there is any differences, but the website has lots of great info.

http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

I found the link, but I don't have internet access everywhere I go, and like having a "copy" with me. I'd rather have a hard copy, does that mean I am getting old? :cross:

fu_gazi said:
I found the link, but I don't have internet access everywhere I go, and like having a "copy" with me. I'd rather have a hard copy, does that mean I am getting old? :cross:

Old, yes, me too! There is just a quality to a tangible object that cannot be reproduced, remember, google used to be a card file at the library:)

While there is a free version on line the book is much more updated and really a great reference to go to as many processes and old info has been removed or updated considerably:)

Well I might just have to pick a copy up.

Back