Can someone double check my pitch calculations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juno_Malone

Reaction score
Tomorrow I'm brewing a smoked porter, and I don't have time to make a starter. Here's the beer specs:

3.5 gallons target fermenter volume
1.057 target OG

According to Brewersfriend/MrMalty, I need somewhere between 100-150 billion cells for a healthy pitch. Here's what I've got:

2x Wyeast 1099 Whitbread packs that I got for free; mfg date 1/13/2016.
1x Safale S04 packet; mfg 2014, "expired" 1/2016.

Based on MrMalty's viability numbers, I estimate each of the Wyeast packs to have ~15 billion cells (~15% viability @ 4.5 months old), and the Safale S04 to have ~100 billion cells (~50% viability @ ~2 years old).

So that puts me at about 130 billion cells, which should be good, given my target volume and OG? I do have a new pack of S04 which would be more than enough on its own, but I'd like to use up this older S04 packet and these Wyeast 1099 packs, and to have the 1099 have at least some influence on the beer (even though it's apparently very similar to S04). So should my pitching plan be OK, or did I make a mistake somewhere?

Thanks!

Back