Can somebody help with these bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FunkedOut

FunkedOver
Reaction score
I recently got larger fermenters, so I want to make enough brew to fill a keg and a 1L bottle or two.
I’m fermenting in keg, so I can make use of a spunding valve and capture some natural carbonation.
The beer is always settled at 15psi before cold crash and drops to about 5psi after.

5psi @ 32*F = 2.15 volumes.
How do I go about calculating the amount of sugar I need to get another 0.35 volumes?
Is it as easy as telling Beersmith I want 0.35 volumes of CO2?

Thanks.

Maybe fill the bottle using carb drops or sugar directly in bottle then proceed with the keg as you normally would

According to braukaiser, the formula/calculation for priming sugar is:

Cbeer = Cflat-beer + 0.5 * 0.91 * mcorn-sugar / Vbeer
  • Cbeer - the final carbonation of the beer (g/l)
  • Cflat-beer - the CO2 content of the beer before bottling (g/l)
  • mcorn-sugar - the weight of the corn sugar (glucose monohydrate) (g)
  • Vbeer - beer volume (l)
source:
http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Accurately_Calculating_Sugar_Additions_for_Carbonation

All of the bottling calculators I have found (including the Beersmith tool) use a temperature input value to calculate Cflat-beer in an effort to simplify the process.

After a couple to a few weeks of fermentation capped at 15psi, a rise to d-rest also capped at 15psi will eliminate some dissolved CO2.
A cold crash to 32*F (also capped at 15psi) will yield approximately 5psi. This pressure is maintained for a week after cold crash, I can then safely assume 2.15 volumes of CO2.
No need for a calculator to calculate the value of Cflat-beer.

Subtracting Cflat-beer from Cbeer will yield a difference that can be used to calculate the appropriate amount of priming sugar, using the formula above.
Something like this:

Cdelta = 0.5 * 0.91 * mcorn-sugar / Vbeer
So, my instinct was right in my OP about a simple subtraction being key, however, after learning more about priming calculators (including the Beersmith tool), I know that they are more more complicated and are not well suited for this particular calculation.
Luckily, the equation is simple, so a simple calculator will do just fine.

Maybe fill the bottle using carb drops or sugar directly in bottle then proceed with the keg as you normally would

That is the basic plan, only I plan to use table sugar and want to know how much.
I fear that a carb drop would be way too much considering I’m almost there right at the start.

Latest posts

Back