Can keg lines be too long

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangemen5

Reaction score
I know there's a lot of threads with ppl having too short of lines and foaming.
I'm having the opposite problem. I started off with 12' lines and my kegs are in a fridge. The height of the tap to the center of the kegs is very little.
I can't seem to get a good head on my beer. ( I know all about dishwashers and soap on glassware). The beers is carbonated. It's been on gas for 3 weeks. I keep turning my pressure up started at 12psi. Got it at 16psi and still not a great head. My beers at 37 degrees.
Could my lines be too long and giving to much resistance?

I don't think it's the long lines. I set up a system with a 15 ft line and 2 20 ft lines, no problem with head retention. Has it happened on multiple beers, or just one?

Yeah, and what was the grainbill if just the one? What kind of beer?

And how are you pouring? With vigor or gently down the side? Are your glasses kept in the freezer? Sometimes frozen glasses destroy head retention.

I had 10 ft lines and recently went back to 6 ft. Getting great pours consistently now. My hoppy amber shown here

Capturesss.JPG

It's my first kegged beer. My second is carbing up still. I'll have to see how that one pours in a week or so.

I open the valve fully and pour down the side until it gets half full then finish the pour up rite.

It's a simple grain bill for a pale ale.60% pilsner
30% marris otter
14oz crystal 20.

If you keep turning up the pressure, you're gonna end up with an overcarbonated mess!

Pick a pressure that's appropriate for the beer and leave it there. Then change other variables. At 16 PSI you'll eventually be hitting 3 volumes of CO2 which is a relatively strong level of carbonation.

A head is formed when carbonation leaves the beer during the pour. If you have a nice slow flow and a very quiet pour, there will be minimal head. As others mentioned, you can change the angle of the glass, or drop the glass down a bit from the faucet.

Trimming your lines will reduce resistance and speed up the beer pour, which can give you an increase in head but may also lead too much head (aka foaming). It's much easier to control the head with your pouring technique.

I did turn my pressure down so it wouldn't over carbonate.
My pour is about 10 sec for a pint. I think I'll just mess with the angle of the glass to get a good head.

My guess is that you are pouring too slow, which would indicate that the lines are too long.
At 37 deg., I suggest 12 psi for 2.66 volumes. Adjust line length from there. Shorter lines = faster pour/more head. 10 feet of 3/16 beer line is normal. add or subtract for your own preference.

Latest posts

Back