Can improper carbonation lead to thin/watery mouthfeel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim311

Reaction score
My last two batches have just seemed thin and watery, and the only variable I see is that I've started kegging. I've been carbonating initially for 24-36 hours at around 20 PSI, then dropping down to about 12 PSI and leaving it there indefinitely. I've also been serving at 12 PSI, which I'm thinking might be too high considering I have a picnic tap with a 6 foot line. Is it possible the pressure is too high and I'm losing most of my carbonation when I dispense? The fridge is set to around 40 degrees if that matters, and the lines of the picnic tap and the CO2 tank are inside the fridge together, so the serving line is being kept cold.

40F and 12psi with only 6ft of line is going to lead to a lot of foam. I think you should definitely get 10-12 foot lines. Do you get foam though? or does it come out flat?

When I pour a pint there's about an inch of head on it, but nothing too insane. I could get longer lines, but I'd really like to be able to serve with this picnic tap so I can take the keg camping this weekend!

Latest posts

Back