Can I use this co2 tank for my kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make sure your gas source will fill it first, would be my only caveat. It is pretty cheap, but keep in mind:

1) Shipping will cost something
2) Filling will cost something (assuming they will fill it)

Are you *sure* the savings will be that significant vs. getting a pre-filled, standard aluminum tank from your LHBS?

I've been keeping an eye on Beverage Elements and if I ever go bigger I'll buy from them. Those tanks are steel and have a current hydro. I believe part of the hydro includes an inspection inside the tank for rust and what not. Somewhere on that site they explain what a refurbished steel tank is.

Just bought this exact tank, got it delivered yesterday, and a local fire supply place filled it today for $8.50 plus an additional $1 to put a sticker on it. There was a local gas supply place that wanted $91 to purchase a filled 5# tank or $30 to exchange one. I thought this tank plus the $9.50 to fill it was a steal.

Hcbrewing...so it is good condition? Definitely would do it over again?

Whats the difference in steel and aluminum? Why you prefer aluminum?

Hcbrewing...so it is good condition? Definitely would do it over again?

Looks great to me. Fresh coat of paint on the outside and the valve looks new. Can't see the inside obviously, but no dents or anything and appears to be in good shape. Haven't used it yet as I'm still waiting on some gear that I ordered from NB to complete my first kegging set up, but I bought the class II new kegs, this tank, and a taprite regulator from this place and they all look great. Fast shipping too. I ordered Thursday night and it was at my door yesterday. I would definitely order from them again.

Do I really need to worry about corrosion on a co2 tank? Won't steel last years as long as I don't expose it to water?

Do I really need to worry about corrosion on a co2 tank? Won't steel last years as long as I don't expose it to water?

Steel is fine. I would have no concern buying a steel tank. The hydro test and DOT cert assure you your tank is safe. The biggest complaint which I don't think it's much of one, is the weight of steel but it's not like you're lugging the thing all over the place.

Thanks for great feedback. I will probably get this one. Lesson learned if it sucks.

I've got the skinny 7# one for about a year now and its been great. Will buy another one from them if I ever need another tank

Back