Can I reuse a blow off tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanddr

Reaction score
I had a very vigorous fermentation and ended up having it bubble up through my blow off tube. I cannot get it perfectly clean inside and I was wondering if I should just chuck it and buy another one or if it isnt a big deal to reuse slightly dirty since the co2 is pushing out the other direction?

Have you soaked it in PBW? I would think that should clean it right up. This is a great question though.. According to the article in th elink below, sounds like you should be able to use it again for a while assuming you clean as good as you can and sanitize it.

I am interested to see what others have to say about this!

http://***********/stories/projects...silicone-hosing-before-you-have-to-replace-it

You can definitely reuse them. Like the last guy mentioned, PBW works great for cleaning. Or oxyclean or even bleach. I wouldn't use bleach on anything else if you don't have to, but it's ok for blow off tubes.

I reuse mine all the time. I clean what I can with a bottle brush, soak it in star-san, and I remove it from the carboy when I can see that the danger has passed.

Havent tried PBW just warm soapy water and there still seems to be small amounts of residue inside. I'm sure it's fine but I think I'll just pick up anther length at my local store when I'm in next time for supplies.

Clean? Sanitize?

Am I supposed to do that? :cross:

I usually just run water through mine to get the chunks out after use. I sanitize the stopper with Star San before using again. The inside of the tube is coated in many previous brews, but the tube isn't going in my wort, so I don't worry about it. No problems to report.

I keep all my plastics in a large pail with about 2 gallons of mild bleach solution in it. Any airlocks, stoppers, funnels, or anything else that that might be contaminated gets tossed in it and left to soak until needed.

For anything left in a bleach solution, you need to rinse 2 or 3 times in hot water to get rid of any chlorine.

I store my blow-off tube in this same pail, in the bleach solution. My tube is about 15 years old, I use it on almost every brew. I would guess that somewhere between 50 to 100 beers have had a blow-off (I like to fill the fermenter as high as I think I can), and have never had a problem.

I stick one end of the tube in the stream of water from the faucet to blow out as much gunk as possible. Then into my homer cheapo bucket wityh PBW to cover & fill it. I let it soak for a couple days,then rinse it out,dry,& store till next time.

If the tube doesn't come clean I just throw it out. Tygon is cheap enough, why even risk it or spend a bunch of time trying to get it clean.

If the tube doesn't come clean I just throw it out. Tygon is cheap enough, why even risk it or spend a bunch of time trying to get it clean.

Cheap! My tube is about $2 a foot. I use 1.25 inch diameter tubing.

My dirty blow off tube is soaking in PBW solution this very minute. Will update the results after a good soaking.

It will be fine after soaking in PBW. If it's still chunky soak it in a 5% bleach solution and rinse it well. No problem.

Back