Can I lager my vienna in my secondary.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptnCully

Reaction score
I'm worried about off flavors from a long sit on the yeast cake. Should I rack this to another vessel? Also, I don't think that I did my d- rest soon enough. The beer is done enough that my airlock was sucking air so I plugged it. Is the d- rest still going to rid me of the buttery flavor, or is it to late?

If its buttery, let it sit for awhile on the cake around 70 deg F.

I think people freak out about time on the cake way too soon. 4 weeks for a normal beers, and 6 for higher gravity brews is perfectly fine. I give most of my beers at least 3 weeks on the cake. It will clean up any off flavors from improper fermentation. Cheers

Thanx guys. I had an ale that tasted like a Goodyear tire an blamed in on the cake. But by the sound of your post it must of been caused by something else

Thanx guys. I had an ale that tasted like a Goodyear tire an blamed in on the cake. But by the sound of your post it must of been caused by something else

When a beer is in primary a long time, it often does pick up more of the character of the yeast. Some people really like that and find it preferable. But in a lager, any yeast character or flavor is completely out of place and is very noticeable.

Diacetyl only has a buttery or butterscotch flavor in large amounts. In smaller amounts, it presents as an oily mouthfeel or slickness on the tongue. If you have ANY hint of that slickness, continue the diacetyl rest as it will get worse, not better, with lagering. After the diacetyl rest, rack, and begin the lagering. You don't want to lager on the yeast cake.

A goodyear tire taste can be due to autolysis or infection or possibly chlorine in the brewing water.

Thanks to everyone. I am spending a lot of time reading a bunch of post here and have learned a lot. However it's starting to cut into my "BREW-TIME" It's great to have this place as a helpfully reference.

Latest posts

Back