Can I brew 1 gallon of beer in 5 gallon equipment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregmosu

Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been discussed.. maybe I'm not searching it correctly, but everything I own is for brewing 5 gallons at a time. Can I buy a 1-gallon kit and brew if properly in the equipment I own? I'm not so much concerned about the steeping/boiling process, but is there an issues with only having a gallon or two of beer fermenting in a 5-gallon pail? Is that too much space? Will the beer not ferment properly? Thanks!

There should be enough Co2 given off during primary fermentation that will keep a nice blanket over the beer once FG is reached. You should be fine. Just don't open the primary too many times, let the yeast do its work and check gravity every week until FG is reached, then bottle.

I was told by N. Brewer doing a 3-gallon BIAB kit and then using my 5-gallon secondary for that batch's primary would be fine, but that's a lot less headspace than you're proposing. I might get a 1-gallon jug, but maybe I'm paranoid. Hope you find someone who has done this and they chime in. I'm doing my second 1-gallon batch this weekend, but I have 1-gallon fermenters.

I moved to one gallon brewing last year. To be honest, a one gallon jug will coast you 5-7 bucks and is perfect for the job. All of your existing five gallon equipment will work with it, and you will have a vessel that is the right size.

PM me if you have any questions, always delighted to assist

HW.

I don't think a bucket would work very well but a 5 gallon plastic big mouth bubbler might pull it off. Glass carboys might also be doable, especially 3 gallon ones.

Also there is a big difference between 1 & 2 gallons. 2 gallons would probably be fine even in a bucket.

The only problem I see is racking off of the trub and yeast in the fermenter. One gallon is pretty shallow in a large bucket. Maybe just buy a 2 gallon bucket at the hardware store. I would think a narrower vessel would be best so you don't waste any of that precious one gallon.

Hi there am currently fermenting a 1 gallon batch in a 5 gallon bottle so can let you know how it goes. It does look very shallow and as Wayfrae said my main concern is racking off the trub and yeast when bottling. I also don't see how I can take a final gravity reading without siphoning which would disturb the beer too much. Unless anyone has any ideas?? If I had the option I'd probably buy a 1 gallon fermenter (equipment is hard to get hold of where I am) but happy to let you know how I get on, It seems to be fermenting which is a good start!

My local grocery store's bakery dept gave me a couple of small icing buckets that I can ferment about 1.75 gals in. These were free and food grade.

Use a turkey baster to pull a sample of wort to check the gravity. You'll need the cylindrical test tube also.

Oh yes I did get a sample taker with my beer kit but a turkey baster may work better, cheers :mug:

Buy a one gallon glass jug of Apple juice and drink some,pitch yeast and ferment dry, bottle still or prime. Now you have a new fermenter!

Back