Can I bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsmoon

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
So I've been lurking for a while and can usually find what I need by searching. Anyway, I have a Chocolate Milk Stout from Northern Brewer that has been in the primary for a little over 3 weeks. I took a hydrometer reading last weekend and it was at 1.021. Seemed a little high, so I gently swirled it. I took another reading yesterday and it is still at 1.021. Will it be ok to bottle this weekend? The OG was right about 1.051.

What was the expected FG on the recipe? Is this an all grain, partial mash or extract kit? If the former, what temp did you mash it?

It may well be finished and just have a good amount of unfermentables in it accounting for the higher gravity.

milk stouts are suppose to finish high - if the hydrometer hasn't moved in a couple days then it's fine to bottle - especially if it's fermented for 3+ weeks

I'd probably check the gravity again this weekend and if it remains steady, bottle. There are probably a significant amount of unfermentables in this beer.

Let us know what you do. It seems you are on the right track.

It is an extract recipe. They didn't have the expected FG with the recipe, and I wasnt sure how to figure out what it should be. I thought maybe it would be ok since the reading hasn't changed. I will check again then bottle.
Thanks!

that sounds a little high on the fg, even for kits. that's about 3.9%. i'd wait another week, and test again. if still 1.021, i'd bottle.

that sounds a little high on the fg, even for kits. that's about 3.9%. i'd wait another week, and test again. if still 1.021, i'd bottle.

No harm will come from waiting, so it's not bad advice, but I've brewed milk stouts before and they all finish high. Of course it depends on a lot of variables like yeast strain, yeast health, yeast amount, fermenting temperature, recipe, etc, but if I had a milk stout fermenting for 3 weeks and it went from 1.050 to 1.021, I would consider that fine, or maybe even a bit too low.

I still say bottle it.

Especially since it's an all extract brew. Some extracts, especially some brands of LME, leave a lot of unfermentables and give you a higher FG. Add in lactose and the fact that stouts are often a little higher anyway, and the FG could be reasonable. Leave it for a week since that will help it either way and bottle if it's stable.

Back