Can I believe these numbers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeastofWotan

Reaction score
So I recently did my first all-grain batch, it was BIAB. My target OG was 1.060, and i got to 1.056, which I was pretty pleased with for a first try.

The grist was almost entirely belgian pils, with a bit of torrefied wheat. No adjuncts or simple sugars added. I did mash pretty low (started at 149, by the time an hour had passed it had just dropped to 147). Also, it was only a 2.5 gallon batch and I pitched a full pack of Danstar Saison Belle yeast. I started fermentation at about 74 degrees and it seems to be ending around 79. Only 4 days after pitching I just took a gravity sample and tasted.

1.003!!! That would bring me to more than 7% abv! Despite my low mash temps, I'm inclined to believe that one of my readings (probably OG) was messed up, especially since after only 4 days it does not taste like 7% alcohol (it tastes awesome).

Have any of you experienced a FG this low in a saison without any simple sugar additions?

edit: I just tested my hydrometer in tap water and got a reading around 1.000, so I don't think my hydrometer is broken.

Mashing that low and fermenting that high, I'd say yes. That's very warm to start, even for a saison, you might need to condition it a while or it will be pretty harsh. Jamil says start at 65 and ramp up to 80.

fizgig said:
Mashing that low and fermenting that high, I'd say yes. That's very warm to start, even for a saison, you might need to condition it a while or it will be pretty harsh. Jamil says start at 65 and ramp up to 80.

You're probably right, though i just checked my notes and i see that i wrote down myOG at 72 degrees and it likely cooled off a couple degrees before the yeast got going, 74 was what i saw maybe 12 hours later when a healthy krausen was already going. so maybe it won't be that bad. The sample i drank went down pretty smoothly, but we'll see how a pint does!

Yes you can believe those numbers. You mashed at a lower temp so you got more fermentable sugars and less dextrinous (if that's the right word...non-fermentables) that a higher mash temp would have given you. Plus, saison yeasts are extreme yeast beasts and will eat anything and everything they can (my saison went from 1.058 to 1.004 with 3711 in about 4 days at 75ish). Sounds like a good beer to me!

Yep numbers look about right. In my experience, Saison yeast (3711) is so aggressive that it doesn't much matter your ingredients or process. Use lots of crystal, add oats, mash high, but you'll STILL finish around 1.004. LOL! Btdt.

I can believe those numbers. Belle Saison is a beast like 3711 and will finish low given your mash temp.

It also can handle some heat, so if you fermented that warm it will finish up fast.

That's very warm to start, even for a saison, you might need to condition it a while or it will be pretty harsh.

Not really a problem with this yeast. I have used it a lot and have experimented fermenting it hot from the start and it produce no fusels or harsh flavors. For most yeasts it would be a problem but for some reason most saison yeasts can handle heat early and not produce off flavors.

Back