Can I attach wort pump directly to brew kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewSomeMore

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if I could attach wort pump directly to the kettle? I have read that it has to be below the kettle but also seen pictures of the pump directly on, i.e. BrewBoss systems. Trying to to get pump setup and making sure to get the right connections. Thanks!

Depends on the pump.

"Little Brown Pump": yes
8111861101_e24bb2e72c_z.jpg

March or Chugger (regardless of actual model): definitely no.
41Ng36oWC1L._SX425_.jpg

Cheers!

Ok, so I was looking into the Mark 2 wort pump which is bigger than the compact pump but smaller than the chugger. So looks like I will be mounting pump below because of weight? Thanks.

neither are the tan pumps... but if they are mounted at the bottom of the kettle with the exit port facing up they will still gravity prime..

That's what I thought. Once you open ball valve on kettle, liquid exits. I am trying reduce fittings and keep it simple. Are there still issues trying to prime this way?

Cool, thanks for the replies. Another quick question, if I were to hook a pump to my cooler mash tun, could I restrict wort flow enough to fly sparge and transfer without drying grain bed the into boil kettle? Thanks again.

Yup, unless you're using a DC pump with a speed controller you should have a ball valve on the output of the pump to throttle the flow as needed...

Cheers!

I picked up a Topsflo TD5 brew pump. It seeems light weight enough it would easily mount to a kettle. In fact brew hardware has a video of them doing that. When I change to ebiab I hope to do this.

Just ordered pump, fittings, and tubing. All the info makes me more confident on my purchase. I have been doing 10-15 gallon batches for a couple years, lifting buckets of wort into the boil kettle. One time I dislocated my shoulder, it popped back in easily but still. I have kids, they're always touching the buckets of wort, trying to baby-sit while using a paint stirrer to whirlpool. It works but a little automation in my brew setup is welcome.

I picked up a Topsflo TD5 brew pump. It seeems light weight enough it would easily mount to a kettle. In fact brew hardware has a video of them doing that. When I change to ebiab I hope to do this.

Be careful with topflo. Great little pumps but DO NOT GET THEM WET. BTDT.

we took a red cup and made two notches in the sides to rest over the pump housing. Problem solved as long as you are careful.

Cool, thanks for the replies. Another quick question, if I were to hook a pump to my cooler mash tun, could I restrict wort flow enough to fly sparge and transfer without drying grain bed the into boil kettle? Thanks again.

I do just that by driving my pump at 15% on my pwm speed controller..ball valve works too.

Back