Can I attach a wort chiller to this faucet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

othellomcbane

Reaction score
I know there have been many threads on this, but I've read through everything I can find and still don't know if I can make it work with my faucet. So if anyone wants to give me some pointers, here are some pics:

DSC03411.JPG

faucet.jpg

It's one of those detachable sprayhead faucets, but the part where the water comes out is just a plastic grill. The base, where it connects to the metal flexible tube, seems like it might be able to screw off somehow, but just pulling on it hasn't accomplished anything. Does it look like something I can unscrew easily, and repeatedly, for every brew session?

A knowledge of plumbing is definitely not one of my strengths, and a lot of the remedies mentioned in other threads sound like they're beyond what I want to attempt. I live in a small Brooklyn apartment and I don't want to tamper with the plumbing under the sink, adding some kind of splitter or whatever. Don't want to screw something up and have to deal with the landlord, and I don't plan on living here more than another year or two anyway.

The bathroom sink faucet is more standard, but it's one of those wide rectangular-ish faucets. A tube would just have to sort of smoosh over it somehow, don't see any way it could be firmly attached. No outdoor hose connection either.

Thoughts?

at the base of the handle there's a bit of exposed steel that's been knurled. I would think that can be easily unscrewed to temporarily attach you chiller. It should be a standard thread, just take the measurements to homedepot and they'll have the right parts you need.

At the end of the sprayhead, where the water comes out, there is typically an aerator. If you turn it counter clockwise, with a pliers if necessary, it will unscrew. You can then then screw a garden hose adapter in its place, to which you can attach your chiller.

You should be able to find a hose adapter at your hardware store.

You say it looks like it can be unscrewed. Try unscrewing it. You'll run into 1 of two scenarios.
1) it unscrews and theres a flat oring in one peice that sealed the connection. In this case, it can be done repeatably, but it's a good idea to pick up a pack of orings to have on hand.

2) you'll ser white teflon tape on the connection. You can still do it repeatably, but you'll want to clean off and reapply the tape eqch time. It's stupid cheap.

Just go for it. Thats how you learn.

Thanks for the fast responses guys. I'll mess around with it some more when I get home from work today.

Well, as before, I just can't figure out how to physically unscrew the faucet from the hose. It certainly looks like it should be possible, but the hose is too thin to get a good grip on, and I can't for the life of me accomplish anything. The plastic aerator part won't seem to come off either, not without breaking it. Oh well.

Well, as before, I just can't figure out how to physically unscrew the faucet from the hose. It certainly looks like it should be possible, but the hose is too thin to get a good grip on, and I can't for the life of me accomplish anything. The plastic aerator part won't seem to come off either, not without breaking it. Oh well.

Don't grip the hose.

Grip the shiny silver, rough, metal part (with pliers) and unscrew it from the black part ( I can see the threads in your photo).

Back