Can i add honey to my mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drunken0ne

Reaction score
This is my first attempt. I made a hopped mead that was a old recipe. I used 6lbs of honey to 5 gallons of water. I got a 1.036 OG and want a higher ABV on this. I have read about adding honey after the batch was done. So since it finished about 2 hours ago is there a way to add more honey? I have 6lbs that I can add if I should. Any ideas?

If you are not at your yeast's ABV limit (which for this I could not imagine you would be) then just mix in your honey and give the Carboy sone gentle stiring to pick up the yeast cake on the bottom. It should start back fermenting soon.

You may find it easier to siphon some of your must out into a sanitized container and then mix in the honey in that. The carboy could be a pain to mix in, if you are using a bucket then disregard. Of course setting your honey jar in hot water speeds along the process.

I'm not sure how that works for adjusting gravity readings mid ferment. If I had to guess I'd say take a reading right before adding and right after, then add the difference between the two to your O.G. for future calculations. Anyone know if that jives?

01TRV said:
I'm not sure how that works for adjusting gravity readings mid ferment. If I had to guess I'd say take a reading right before adding and right after, then add the difference between the two to your O.G. for future calculations. Anyone know if that jives?

You have the right of it. Gravity is a measurement of a finite level of sugar. What ever your point gain, add it to OG to get your new potential ABV.

Thanks, I wanted to make sure there wasn't some "special" way to add it. It is in a bucket, and did it smell awesome! I really need to learn more about this mead stuff.

Thanks for the link to read! This all started when I hinted the word honey with the word wine, and then my wife started to listen to me. Maybe it is how I should start all of my conversations with her. But I will be honest that I am a lazy reader, I just get bored. I tend to learn more by being hands on with the project. I have been reading on Got Mead, but like everything else, seems that people do it their own way. When people start getting over technical, I start shut down as I don't know what they are talking about. I guess threads are more for help than learning. Can't replace a good hard copy book! Do I owe you a book report when I am finished? Heck maybe a drink if your in AZ!

Latest posts

Back