Can bottle conditioning fix my hazy beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teebenjohnson

Walk without rhythm.
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with no chill or overnight chill for beer? I brewed a blonde ale that I intend to enter in my states homebrew cup. Just sampled and bottled it yesterday. It's nearly flawless in all regards, except it's a little on the hazy side. My plate chiller is out of commission, so I just stuck it in a sealed container in my fermentation chamber and let it cool overnight. I've seen both sides of the argument saying that not getting a proper cold break can/won't be the cause of haziness, so I can't be sure if this is the reason. I also, didn't use any finings as I ran out and forgot to get more on my trip to the LHBS.

Recipe:
5lbs/45.5% Muntons Marris Otter
5lbs/45.5% Franco Belges Pilsen
8oz/4.6% Briess Honey Malt
8oz/4.6% Briess White Wheat Malt

6g U.S. Magnum @60min
5g Galaxy @35min
5g Czech Saaz @20min
5g Galaxy @5min

1L starter US-05

60min mash @150F
60min boil
Fermentation @68F for 3 days and then slow raised to 72F over two days, followed by 3 day cold crash @35F for a total of 14 days

Time and cold should be your friend, I've done no-chill that have come out clear. You could also try gelatin?
It's already in the bottle, so I'm afraid it's too late for gelatin. How cold should I store the bottles after carbonation?

Once they are carbed, fridge temp should do. I tend to stick them in "normal people" fridge which is closer to 34F than my "beer" fridge which I keep closer to 38-40F as that is where I like most of my beer.

Once they are carbed, fridge temp should do. I tend to stick them in "normal people" fridge which is closer to 34F than my "beer" fridge which I keep closer to 38-40F as that is where I like most of my beer.

Awesome. Thanks for the suggestion. They're currently in my beer fridge at a steady 70F. When they finish carbonating I'll lower the temp to 35F and just let them sit.

I had a batch of a pale ale that was getting chill haze once. It seemed that no matter how long the bottles spent outside the fridge conditioning, they were going to get a bad chill haze that lasted for the better part of a week or more.

It wasn't a big batch though, so I can't really say conclusively whether more time outside of the fridge will have helped.

Coincidentally, I forgot to use whirlfloc near the end of boil as I normally do. But again, I'm not convinced that is the real issue because many beers I did before I ever began using whirlfloc didn't have a chill haze.

Back