Can anyone tell me what is going on here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outrunu

Reaction score
So I did a ten gallon batch of an IPA, nothing complicated. Maris otter base malt (single malt), Simcoe to bitter, cascade for aroma. No dry hops. Left in primary for about 4 weeks. 1.064 OG, 1.10 fg. Carboy one is nice, no problems, carboy two had a milky layer on top that appeared after cold crashing.

Initial taste seems to be the same as carboy one. Same yeasts, etc. (Big starter, half in each.)

As I was racking it, I decided to give it a bit of a stir, and it just went into solution with the beer.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

did you coldcrash carboy one with the same effect?

i would say that when you coldcrashed, you dropped a lot "stuff" out of suspension which is what would cause a thinner top layer

They were sitting next to each other. I just brought them out to my shop, ambient temp was about 34 F. Carboy 1 looked normal.

When you put the bottled beer into the fridge,it cools down to where it feels cool or cold,you can see the foggy chill haze. It comes from dissolved protiens in the beer. After a few days,it settles out with the yeast/trub in the bottles.

I understand that, but there are no bottles involved, and the whole point of cold crashing is to clear the beer.

I also understand that in chill haze, the whole beer looks a bit hazy, not a separate opaque layer in the top of a carboy.

If you can't notice a taste difference, then I wouldn't worry about it...

That's really odd. Usually any particulate matter will be heavier than alcohol, and sink to the bottom. Perhaps it didn't cool evenly?

Is it still there?
Has it moved?

it has happened to me before as well, specifically when i have coldcrashed. i always attributed it to stuff in suspension falling out of suspension.

its never effected the beer at all, but if its not what i think it is, what could it be?

i am pretty sure its from the cold crashing

That's really odd. Usually any particulate matter will be heavier than alcohol, and sink to the bottom. Perhaps it didn't cool evenly?

Is it still there?
Has it moved?

I kegged it. Like I said, When I was about half way done kegging, I gave it a little swirl with my racking cane, and it just dissipated into the beer.

I'm carbing my first batch at 30psi, but that keg, I just set to 12.5. I'll taste it again in a week.

Back