Can a kegerator/chest freezer be stored on carpet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beaker

Reaction score
Title says it all. I'm a brand new member, looking to get back into homebrewing with proper fermentation temp control. I'm in a small apartment and only have a limited amount of space available.

I want to get a chest freezer that can hold 2 6.5gal carboys for fermenting, and also hold a couple 5gal corny kegs. The chest freezer layout thread has been a lot of help, but I'm stuck wondering if having the whole setup on carpet is going to cause problems with condensation?

I live just outside San Francisco, and my apartment temps rarely swing beyond 60-68 degrees year round. I'm not sure if that info helps or not, but I can only make this setup work if I can make the chest freezer pull double duty as a fermentor for 10 gallons that I can later on lower the temp to a kegerator serving temp using an external temp control.

Thanks for any tips, I couldn't find a specific answer here via searching.

I would think the more likely scenario would be you spilling on the carpet. I would grab some scrap wood or bricks and get it off the floor. This would allow air to circulate better. That could be done for free.

I cant see a good freezer hurting the carpet ... I only get condensation inside mine ... you will want to protect it from spills though ... what might work nice for that is an office chair mat like you see under desk chairs on casters. The clear ones ..

it's no problem to have it on carpet. my parents have had one on carpet for well over 10 years now. if your buying one, quickly look it up on the internet to see the space requirements. they don't usually say anything about under them, just around.

I do not have mine on carpet but I did place it on a movers cart i purchased at Harbor freight. It gets is off the floor and it is mobile.

Thanks folks. I do have a tin oil drip tray that would cover roughly the size of the base of one, but its covered in grime and dust and seems to be slightly warped. It would take me an hour to scrub it and straighten it out enough for me to even consider bringing inside.

It won't change anything with condensation, and the heat is released from the side of a chest freezer, not the bottom. Even with a drip tray on the keezer, you'll get some on the floor. But other than that it'll work fine. Maybe place some kind of rubber mat under the drip tray area? Something like a cargo mat in a car trunk.

Thanks folks. I do have a tin oil drip tray that would cover roughly the size of the base of one, but its covered in grime and dust and seems to be slightly warped. It would take me an hour to scrub it and straighten it out enough for me to even consider bringing inside.

If you don't mind spending a couple of bucks, get it washed at an machine shop. They will put in the in the acid bath with intake manifolds, etc. and it will come out as clean as when it was new. As for the warping, the weight of the freezer will help straighten it out.

A small amount I can live with, I just don't want it rotting the floor or creating a mound of mildew.

Back