Campden after the mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EtchyLives

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Doing up my Norwegian wheat and during the batch sparge I smelled something I haven't before... Oops I forgot to add a campden tablet to the sparge water.

So I quick crushed one up into the wort. Will this work? No scent of chlorine coming from the wort.

Also, this confirms for me that our water probably has chloramine and my "cheap insurance" of a campden tablet was warranted.

Others can chime in but I don’t think it’ll help. Compounds have already formed during the mash that meta will not be able to remove.

However, you may not even notice anything off in the final product. Carry it through and see.

Others can chime in but I don’t think it’ll help. Compounds have already formed during the mash that meta will not be able to remove.

However, you may not even notice anything off in the final product. Carry it through and see.
Thanks. That's what I figured. Definitely following through on this. I made a lot of good beer (not great) before I used campden so I'm not overly concerned. Just irritated with myself since I reminded myself about 5 times to crush the tablet in the sparge. Not a single beer was involved either.

Latest posts

Back