Camlock ( Snaplock ) inside diameter issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRems

Reaction score
I have seen a couple threads about the barb style camlocks having a very restrictive barb since the ID is close to 3/8. It seems like you can use a street 90 and slip the hose over the end to keep the size 1/2". I just got my first camlocks today and noticed when they are snapped shut the silicone o ring smushes and restricts flow to close to 3/8" as well. What's the point of not using the barb style if the gasket closes up the flow anyway? It seems like most stainless dip tubes are 1/2" OD which is close to 3/8" ID anyway. Is there really any issues with flow?

In our tests we did not experience any flow issues using the standard cam-locks with 1/2" silicone tube.
Designing the plumbing and pump location/rotation is more critical.
A common issue I see is over length hoses.This increases air in the hose and the distance wort mus travel.

Note how short the runs are.
P10403951.jpg

I have seen a couple threads about the barb style camlocks having a very restrictive barb since the ID is close to 3/8. It seems like you can use a street 90 and slip the hose over the end to keep the size 1/2". I just got my first camlocks today and noticed when they are snapped shut the silicone o ring smushes and restricts flow to close to 3/8" as well. What's the point of not using the barb style if the gasket closes up the flow anyway? It seems like most stainless dip tubes are 1/2" OD which is close to 3/8" ID anyway. Is there really any issues with flow?

Have you tired using these: http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=42&product_id=106 I just purchased a bunch of the camlock fittings and replaced the larger white silicone ring with these. Less restrictive and they also close easier.

Interesting. When I bought mine the stock o-ring was a flat, black Buna-N about the same size, which is why I was so keen on them including the red/orange silicone o-rings for no extra charge. I immediately binned the Buna-N rings...

Cheers!

The original replacements silicone gaskets were a bit small on the inner diameter.

The females we sell now have a food grade silicone gasket that has a full flow inner diameter hole.

Personally I don't have any issue using the C style fittings on my 15 gallon rig and used them for the first couple brews on the 50 gallon system.

For testing on the 50 gallon rig, I changed to larger pickups and install some of the 5/8" hose barbs along with a false bottom and improved transfer times by a huge factor so I'm sure it was all cumulative on that system.

Back