calling all disc golfers.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AHA!
NOW I get the x-step!
I was doing it completely wrong.
Played our back 9 today again. Played our #12, long tight fairway with right dogleg at the end pretty well with a decent hyzer flip with my 150 Valk that only slightly turned over right onto edge of rough, followed by a pretty good (for me) flip turnover right around dogleg.
Threw my Valk into the creek on 15 though.

But that is ok...
Anyone else aware of Innova factory 2nds?
I got a couple of blizzard plastic discs to dye and try out for $11 each, a max weight star mako for dyeing for $12, and another each of 150 DX valk & leo to "replace" almost beat in to flippy one I still have. (throwing only, DX no good for dye) for $6 each.
I got a discount, I thought it said it was 10% for 5 discs or more, but I ended up getting 25% off after $6 shipping.

Five DX discs for $27 shipped sounds like a good deal to me.
(my order was 2 DX, 2 blizzard, & 1 star shipped for $40)

IMG_20120818_185712.jpg

Any of you ever play in CO? We have some really awesome courses out this way. There's 8 courses within half an hour from me, 5 within fifteen minutes, Beaver Ranch is five. I've been playing since '96, but seriously for the last eight years. Only been brewing since last October, and have learned the hard way that session beer is usually better for disc golf at altitude! Anything over 6% and the back nine seems a whole lot harder. I'm not trying to be a ******, but are there really good elevation changes in MN? Some of the courses around me are mostly up or down mountains. I guess you mean, not flat. Good luck out there everybody. Drink well and disc often. -JT

I'm not trying to be a ******, but are there really good elevation changes in MN? Some of the courses around me are mostly up or down mountains. -JT

Some. The river valleys around here (Minnesota and Mississippi Rivers and their tributaries) offer some pretty decent elevation change. The Valley at North Valley Park in the suburbs offers some great ups 'n' downs, so does Kaposia Park. Both are on the Mississippi just north of where the Minnesota comes in. Plymouth Creek has some decent hills for being on a smaller creek. There are plenty of flat courses too, but we get our share of hills. I started playing when I lived in the Chicago area, and MN is pretty hilly compared to down there. Nothing like up in the mountains though, I recently threw at Pageant Hill in Custer, SD, and that was f'n incredible. Gorgeous, and a ton of up and down hill throws.

Who has their own basket? I'm looking pick one up for Xmas and can't decide which one to get. Been looking at the Innova Skillshot and the Discatcher. Price is the same. Anyone have experience with either one?

I have a Discatcher. The only thing that is a bummer is that it only has single chains and some puts pop out. Just having a basket will make all the difference. Lots of practice. When none of your friends can beat you in putting games it will give you tons of confidence!

I have a Mach Lite portable. Bought it last season and it's been great. Awesome for practice in the yard and great to take up north when we go camping. Super easy to move and set up, you can turn a field or woods into your own course.

That's hardcore when you have your own basket.

I just put a plastic wash tub on a tree stump and huck at it. No chains. No pole. I have to 'sink' the disc in.

That's hardcore when you have your own basket.

I just put a plastic wash tub on a tree stump and huck at it. No chains. No pole. I have to 'sink' the disc in.

I used to just put a cooler on its side on a chair. If it went in whether is stayed or not I considered it good. This being Xmas season I opted for an upgrade.

Skillshot was delivered yesterday. Intercepted by the wife. She must have found a good hiding spot as I cant find it. I had planned to decorate it like a Xmas tree as an excuse to open it before Xmas. Now I have to wait.

Skillshot was delivered yesterday. Intercepted by the wife. She must have found a good hiding spot as I cant find it. I had planned to decorate it like a Xmas tree as an excuse to open it before Xmas. Now I have to wait.

I see why she hid it from you...

Hope the world doesn't end on Friday. :D Nah, it'll be worth the wait man.... huge improvement over throwing at a bucket or trash can. Easily the best golf investment I've made. :mug:

Anyone else notice how thin wrapping paper is? I mean obviously the round objects under the tree are discs, but I can clearly read Magnet on one of them.

I have a full size Mach 5 portable. Ive had it for years. I dont actually use it a lot, mostly in the spring to get some reps in after a long shi**y winter. Its a riot at parties though - everyone wants to throw some puts and there is always an impromptu game of horse or something. I keep about 12 discs in it all the time. Cant imagine not having one in the yard!

Its a riot at parties though - everyone wants to throw some puts and there is always an impromptu game of horse or something. I keep about 12 discs in it all the time. Cant imagine not having one in the yard!

Horse is the reason I take my basket camping. The place we camp has a few other regulars who also home brew, so we often share beers while hucking flat b!tches. :mug:

*sniff* I miss playing disc golf with the guys and playing in seasonal tournaments. *sniff*
I used mostly Innova but had my fair share of Disc Craft. My best go-to disc is/was a champion Sidewinder and a DX Wraith that I beat the hell out of. I was never a long arm, so my approach and putts had to be dead on. Depending on the terrain around the basket, I either used my Pig or blowfly. I still keep my bag and extra discs in my trunk just in case I get the rare opportunity to play. Used to have a small league that played on Sat mornings. I never had the #1 tag, but I kept the 2nd and 3rd tags for a long time. The best is the annual night game in January. We'll start at sundown and play a full 18. Drinking (in moderation) is encouraged as is bringing chili AND your own LEDs. Nothing more fun that seeing the LED separate from the disc as you tattoo a tree you never saw. Ah.....the memories. Stupid responsibilities and obligations got in the way so much that I had to turn in my tag. When I do get to play, I have to play as a guest even though the guys want to me to come back as a regular again (as do I). We're lucky that we have 3 championship courses and 2-3 casual courses in our immediate area.

By the way, I have a great metal practice basket if anyone is interested in it. The chains are a little on the light side, but that really helped me out on practicing my finesse putts. I'm sure shipping would suck, but for the right price I'd be willing.

actually disc golf is for people who don't have the coordination for real golf. I lived across the street from a disc golf course for two years and played a bit to run the dog. Super gey.

actually disc golf is for people who don't have the coordination for real golf. I lived across the street from a disc golf course for two years and played a bit to run the dog. Super gey.

Wait wait wait..... you play ball golf and call disc golf ghey? That's hilarious man, totally hilarious. Do you wear those cute short knickers and a hat with a li'l puffball on top when you wrap your hands around the shaft and line it up with the balls?

So disc golf is cooler because real golfers dressed funny in the 50s? I don't know how I could argue against that. You got me...

So disc golf is cooler because real golfers dressed funny in the 50s? I don't know I could argue against that. You got me...

The only down side in comparison to ball golf is that we don't have the hot beer cart girl. The big upside is that it's FREE to play. No tee times or weird course etiquette/rules. Just be courteous and offer the guys who let you play through a beer and everyone's happy. It also takes less than half of the time to play 18 holes.

So disc golf is cooler because real golfers dressed funny in the 50s? I don't know how I could argue against that. You got me...

Yes, that is what I said, isn't it? :smack: Go play with your balls, Hoppy, if you don't like disc golf, what use is it wasting your time being a tool on a thread about it? It's like those guys that pop into the foosball thread every now and then to tell us how stupid we are for liking foosball. If you like ball golf so much, maybe start a thread on it. Talk to people who want to talk about it instead of acting like a teenager and picking on people for liking a game you don't.

Upon further review:
A disc is usually in a bag 90% of its life time. Most likely up against other discs. Since all discs are relatively the same shape (wing, rim, flight plate), there is only one 'gender'. The act of a disc touching other discs 90% of its life time, does in fact make it gay. :pipe::confused::tank:

Either way I think you are lame for dissing on disc golf on a disc golf thread.

Sorry gents....I just made a joke and Nordeast took offense and I continued to bicker with him. My apologies

Plus at least disc golf gets a little exercise. Golf hit a ball, get on cart, drive to ball, and repeat. Disc golfers walk the course. Though putting the cart in neutral and going down a hill is fun, especially as the guy in the passenger seat tries to not wet his pants.

Latest posts

Back