California Ale or California V?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmfa200

Reaction score
Plan on doing an American Wheat.
What yeast do you recommend?
This is what I have on hand, but if you have another recommendation please feel free to comment.

For an American Wheat I suggest WLP320 American Hefe yeast or the WYeast equivalent. It will give you the cloudy "wheat beer" look and still ferment cleaner unlike a european hefe yeast, though in my experience will still provide some clove flavor (no banana).

WLP051 or WLP001 both are not really suited if you want a true American Wheat beer. Unless you were trying for something like an American Kristalweizen, which is a wheat beer that is filtered and clear, if thats the case I suggest WLP051, it'll provide slightly more fruity flavors.

I would go with the WLP001 because I would want the beer a little more dry. I would probably be in the 15-20 IBU range abd too much body would ruin the balance for me. You won't get the ester profile of an American Hefeweizen but a clean character instead, and I think that would be refreshing.

Back