Calibrate Thermostar digital temperature controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrankCazabon

Reaction score
Hi,

I just noticed my Thermostar digital temperature controller that is a couple years old is showing the wrong temperature. What should be showing as 14C is actually showing as 0.2C! I can't find any instructions on calibrating it. Is there a way to adjust it? Or is it time for a new controller?

Last edited:
That big of a change suggests the temperature sensor may have been affected by moisture over time. It happens.

It appears that Thermostar controller has pretty much disappeared. There are digital images of the user manual around the net - I've included the two pages of interest - and there is a procedure for calibrating the unit. You might give that a try, but be sure to test the calibration against a known-good thermometer and do a functional test at the ends of the temperature range you expect the unit to see and make sure the unit responds correctly.

Cheers!

6531844_Page_1.jpg

6531844_Page_2.jpg

Thanks, I'm not seeing the procedure to recalibrate it. Or is it the temperature offset that you are referring to?

The temperature creep is still happening. I guess it's time for a new controller.

The temperature creep is still happening. I guess it's time for a new controller.
Can you open the unit up and check for corrosion? I've worked as a calibration technician and when I saw temperature discrepancies like that then there's usually something wrong with the probe or connections to the board. A simple cleaning could bring it right back.

Can you open the unit up and check for corrosion? I've worked as a calibration technician and when I saw temperature discrepancies like that then there's usually something wrong with the probe or connections to the board. A simple cleaning could bring it right back.
It's pretty well sealed. I can get a screw driver between the top "lid" and the base but it's a pretty tight fight and I'm not able o release any clips. I'm worried I'll do some permanent damage

Check for screws first of course. Especially from the back - under any stickers, etc.

After that - worst case popping it open ruins it. But if a recalibration or whatever else doesn't fix it, and it's basically trash at that point, go for it - nothing to lose.

Check for screws first of course. Especially from the back - under any stickers, etc.

After that - worst case popping it open ruins it. But if a recalibration or whatever else doesn't fix it, and it's basically trash at that point, go for it - nothing to lose.
Looked for screws first :). I'm currently using it and adjusting the temperatures every 12 hours or so. Ordered an inkwell replacement. Once that reaches I'll see if I can force it open

Looked for screws first :). I'm currently using it and adjusting the temperatures every 12 hours or so. Ordered an inkwell replacement. Once that reaches I'll see if I can force it open
Must be something in the air. Yesterday my Inkbird controller on my keezer got stuck ON and alarmed when my keezer dropped into the mid 20's, luckily no frozen beer. I opened it up and smacked the relay with my screwdriver handle and it's been working fine since. 😄

Must be something in the air. Yesterday my Inkbird controller on my keezer got stuck ON and alarmed when my keezer dropped into the mid 20's, luckily no frozen beer. I opened it up and smacked the relay with my screwdriver handle and it's been working fine since. 😄
Maybe I should try the old whack it to fix it technique! :)

Just in case anyone else encounters this problem, I managed to get the controller open. There are 5 screws holding the top and bottom parts together. They are accessible underneath the top face of the device. You need to lift up the face in the corners and halfway down on the right hand side.

Also the temperature probe can be replaced. Unfortunately I can't find a replacement for it though.

Latest posts

Back