Calculating SG after blending

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisVZ

Reaction score
I have a batch of mead fermenting that I am considering making an apple/cherry cyser. I want to let it ferment dry, stabilize, and then rack it onto a mixture of honey, apple juice and tart cherry juice. My question is how do I figure what my final gravity will be. I think I know how but would like confirmation from you guys.
If I have 5 gallons of mead at 1.000 and I rack it onto 1 gallon of juice with a gravity of 1.050 am I correct in calculating it this way... ((5x1.000)+1.050)/6? This would give me a gravity of 1.008 for 6 gallons.
Thanks in advance for any input.

I have a batch of mead fermenting that I am considering making an apple/cherry cyser. I want to let it ferment dry, stabilize, and then rack it onto a mixture of honey, apple juice and tart cherry juice. My question is how do I figure what my final gravity will be. I think I know how but would like confirmation from you guys.
If I have 5 gallons of mead at 1.000 and I rack it onto 1 gallon of juice with a gravity of 1.050 am I correct in calculating it this way... ((5x1.000)+1.050)/6? This would give me a gravity of 1.008 for 6 gallons.
Thanks in advance for any input.

Correct. An easier way to figure your final ABV though is to take the added cherry juice which is 1.050 PPG (points per gallon) and divide it with how many gallons total you will end up with (in this case 6) and get an added gravity of 1.008 to your batch. Soooo, let's say you started at 1.100 you now can make your ABV calculations off of a OG of 1.108.

Thanks for the confirmation and tip on figuring final ABV. My primary concern was making sure I didn't make it too sweet, but knowing the final ABV will be nice too.

Latest posts

Back