Calculating OG? Adding sugar mid ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosnhojm20

Reaction score
I have an DIPA fermenting as we speak, it was a good brewday. I used iBrewmaster software and it doesn't calculate sugar additions to OG/FG. If I add a pound or two of sugar to the ferment (started at 1.070), how do I end up calculating ABV/OG? Thanks in advance.

Just add the post-kettle sugars to your original recipe and let it tell you the adjusted OG/FG/ABV.
If your brewing software can't handle sugars in recipes, ditch it for one that does...

Cheers!

It's pretty robust and the UI is way better than beer smith. But you're right that it's a bit sad that it doesn't handle it. It has the gravity in the addition, just doesn't calculate it into the OG etc.

I'm an idiot. I was moving too quickly to notice. It does handle it. I'm still curious how to do the math though.

sucrose contributes 46 gravity points/lb. divide by volume in fermenter (gallons) and add that result to your OG for the adjusted OG. assuming 1lb sugar in a 5 gal batch, you're looking at a roughly 0.009 increase, or 1.079.

Back