Calculating Carbonation from Gravity Drop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcbeersnob

Reaction score
Is there a formula that can be used to calculate the carbonation level that is achieved by x points decrease in SG for a given volume of beer?

Reason I want to know: I racked a batch to a keg and commenced dry hopping at room temp. 12 days later I found that the keg was very carbonated (loads of foam coming out when I pull the PRV). I dispensed some with a picnic tap to lower the keg volume. Huge carbonation level. Mostly foam, but it was room temp. I figure it's either an infection or the beer had not finished attenuating when I racked. Checked the FG and found that it had dropped .002 points since racking. So either explanation is plausible at this point. Either way, I want to calculate the carbonation level that was added to the beer by the gravity drop.

In bottles, .003 gets you around 2.5 volumes. Not sure if it would be the same for a keg, I am not set up for those yet.

Latest posts

Back